Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

calyxman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2005
Being cheap is being obstinate. Being frugal is being wise.

With that said, I don't consider it being "cheap" to make and bring your own lunch to work--in fact, I think it's healthier as most outside food is crap!

I'm also careful with clothes spending. I'm still trying to comprehend how some people pay $200 for a pair of jeans....at any rate.

Being frugal also means taking care of, or fixing, what you have. Before running out and buying a new computer, I try to fix my old one. Any surprise that I'm still using my iBook G3 for 5+ years? :p

Cutting out the bad habits--drinking, smoking--also gives your wallet a sign of relief. I don't do either, but I know some who can do without them.:eek:

My favorite is when I redeem my credit card reward points for gas cards. Do the math on this: for 9,000 points I get a $50 statement credit, but for 5,000 points, I get a $50 gas card for any Shell gas station ($50 in free gas!). Which would you pick? :)

I'm still using my same cell phone from January 2005, my Motorola v600 with T-Mobile, with whom I'm a subscriber for 39.99 for 1500 minutes. And I plan on using that cell phone as it's still in good shape and does the job for me.

Soda from a vending machine? Bad for your teeth. I'll have some water from the cooler, thank you.

It goes on and on....:D

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
The poor section of Connecticut
kingjr3 said:
Did I ruffle a feather? Coming from someone whose sig says "Frack 'em all, I say™," I am surprised you jump to defend with a weak argument that people don't have a choice over their circumstance/situation. Its fine by me if they are "forced" to be a member of the wait staff. Just don't expect me to tip simply out of civic responsibility...I tip based on service as I said above. If service is not up to par, then neither will my tip...

Lets just agree that we have differing opinions....So I'll just leave it at that. The topic was being cheap, so lets get back on it.
My feathers do not get ruffled by people who make comments about topics they obviously don't understand. That was my attempt to make you see how not everyone has the best of situations. Oh, and by the way, actually READ the thread before you make your comments. I never once said you should tip out of a sense of civic responsibilty, I DID say if the service sucked then I wouldn't tip either. Now I shall exit this thread and leave you to making a fool out of yourself. You obviously don't need my help. :D

Melkor

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2005
Last week I was stuck for cash so my friends gave me €4 to drink a full carton of cream. I don't know if that was really on topic, but I tought I'd post it anyway.

pffffff Mmmmm butter farts :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.