How 'anal' are you when it comes to your phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shenfrey, Nov 27, 2012.

1. macrumors 68000

May 23, 2010
    I know alot of people are so incredibly - I like to use the word anal - picky when it comes to new phones, they dare not get a single bit of dirt, scratch or dent on their precious device and if there is the SLIGHTEST problem they will do everything in their power to either A) Fix it or B) Replace it.

People will buy the most protective cases, will buy screen protectors and some people even go as far as using gloves with their iphone! So I have to ask, how anal are you guys with your phones?

Me, I am not too bad. I don't hold my phone like its an atom bomb, nor do I treat it like its a very delicate puppy, its a phone at the end of the day and its going to get dirty at some point, its probably going to gets scratchy, especially if your job is in the construction field or maybe even the mining field. I have a slight issue with my phone right where the top left part of the screen will occasionally make a slight clicking noise, people say return it but why if its not causing me any problems? I know people who have asked to get their phone replaced just because theres the slightest mark on it, and I'v never understood this.

So what about you guys? Are you like me? Are you completely different? I understand these devices are expensive - really I do - and if you have sense you would insure it, but to treat it like it could explode at any second is a bit pedantic.

So let me know guys :)
  2. macrumors member

Aug 25, 2012
  3. macrumors 6502

Apr 5, 2012
  4. macrumors 6502a

Mar 16, 2008
    I don't care too much about the phone itself. I don't throw it around carelessly but I also don't put it in a case nor do I freak out if it gets a scratch. I am, however, extremely anal when it comes to the software side of things (homescreen arrangement, song metadata, etc).
  5. macrumors 65816

Apr 15, 2009
    Ha Ha...He said 'anal' and you said 'tool'. 'Anal Tool'...
  6. macrumors 68020

May 31, 2010
    Austin TX
    not as much as my 4s
    The vibrator on the 4s seems more intense

the 5 ehhh... doesnt get the job done
  7. macrumors member

Mar 30, 2012
    not at all. like i havent been with the last 4 phones that i have owned since 1999. its nice, it has a screen protector, i can use it. other than that it is just a phone.
  8. macrumors Nehalem

Apr 16, 2008
    At the iPhone hacks section.
    I dont go nuts like some people inspecting every inch for tiny imperfections.
    Its a phone, as long as it works then Im happy.
    It will most likelly get replaced within a year like before when I get the newer one.
  9. macrumors newbie

Nov 30, 2011
    Well, I do not really panic when i get a scratch... I just put a bumper on my device and that's it. And I use bumper more for a grip than a protection
  10. macrumors 6502

Apr 21, 2012
    I was expecting a poll:

1. Extremely anal.
    2. Somewhat anal.
    3. Not so much anal.
    4. Meh.
    5. What's anal?
  11. macrumors 65816

Jul 30, 2007
    I have Applcare+ I'm not anal at all. If it's all scratched to hell by the end of my 2 years I'll drop it and get a new one before I sell it.
  12. macrumors 65816

Aug 10, 2012
    I have a screen protector and a soft rubber case on mine. I just know that it was a big investment and like to keep it in good working order.
  13. macrumors 68020

Nov 15, 2011
    Personally, I like to keep my stuff (expensive stuff especially) as nice as possible for as long as possible. With that said, I have extra incentive to keep my phone looking good since my wife will likely be getting it when/if I upgrade OR she'll get the next upgrade and I'll have my phone for a year longer... in either scenario, I would want it to still look decent.

In the long run though, I know it's just a phone and I know that I've got a warranty on it so I might as well use it and not worry too much.

Also noteworthy is that I don't intend to sell it ever (read: don't intend) so I don't worry much about resale value.
  14. macrumors 68000

Oct 15, 2008
    I was at first with my black iPhone 5 because I read this board.

I bought a Speck Candyshell case and babied it for the first couple of weeks.

I have since had it naked, dropped it a few times(only minor drops), put it down on all surfaces without much caution and just used it like every other phone i've had and it's perfect!

I understand it's an expensive phone and people want to protect it, but the iPhone 5, even the black one, is much more solid and resistant to scratches than many on this board would have you believe.
  15. macrumors 6502a

Mar 1, 2008
    Rockland/Manhattan/Bay Area
  16. macrumors G5

Aug 17, 2007
    Agreed. I take good care of my stuff, but I'm not crying over the fact that my iPhone 4S with the Apple bumper has some scratches on the metal sides because of dirt getting between the bumper and phone.
  17. macrumors regular

May 14, 2012
    I was thinking that the most expensive anal toy ever :D
  18. macrumors 6502

Jul 17, 2008
    This. Except for me I think its the first two months or so. Its just now starting wear off..
  19. macrumors member

Jul 11, 2010
    I use a sleeve/pouch case and keep it clean, which is how I can sell my iPhone after 2+ years and get $350 for it.
  20. macrumors 68000

May 14, 2011
    Front and back screen protectors and a Switcheasy Tones case with plugs to protect both jack and lightning ports. As for the rest, I use it like a normal phone since it has the basic protection I normally use.
  21. macrumors 68040

Jul 7, 2010
    Bay Area
    I put a screen and back protector on with a thin case. I don't sit there and inspect it so that I can return it. My phone does click when I press on the screen and at this point it's not that bad to return it.
  22. macrumors newbie

Jun 11, 2011
    People like you is the reason why this planet is going to hell.

I use a screen protector and a case, but I'm thinking of going without the case, since it looks better and in the end it's just a phone.
  23. macrumors 68020

Oct 27, 2010
    HR 9038 A
  24. macrumors 65816

May 23, 2010
    I do start out being a little crazy with new toys. But before long I get over it. Have to admit, it's a nice feeling to quit worrying about it.
  25. macrumors 65816

SLC Flyfishing

Nov 19, 2007
    Portland, OR
    I'm pretty obsessive about perfection when I buy something. I don't think that's unreasonable either.

I'll also try and take care of my stuff, I've got a nice looking case that's pretty protective, and I use a screen protector too.

But once my phone gets scratched or dinged, I don't get upset. It's bound to happen eventually, I just try and delay it.

I've found that the care I take with my phones makes them resell quicker when I want to upgrade. I got more for my iPhone4 than I paid with the subsidized price when it was new. I think that's because it was in pretty great shape.