How and Should I do this...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Macs R Us, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Macs R Us macrumors 6502

Here on My Mac(s) in my house in the USA!
    There is a compiny that has gone out of out of bussness and they offered to Sell me there compniy name, products, and domain name... And since the price they were asing is 1,500 I was wondering if I should and turn it into a sub-site of my compiy "Macs R Us"... Would something like this work, and can I or should I do this, it seems like a good deal... Any ideas?

2. Macs R Us thread starter macrumors 6502

oh, and there name is : "Midwest Macs", I could sell the domain right? If I don't want it... I have never heard of them have any of you?

3. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

What products do you get? Because you don't get a whole hell of a lot from their domain & company names for $1500.

Lee Tom

4. Macs R Us thread starter macrumors 6502

new tems I get:
    - 50 Software Mac Apps
    - 100 AppleSerive Parts (parts from 1994-2002)
    - Some other small stuff

Used stuff i get:

75 more used Macs (like I need them I have over 200:) )
    20 LaserWriters
    30 KBD's
    100 Mice

And some other small stuff... I posted the domain on a small site to see if any one there thought it was worth buying but I have had no respnse... Is this good??? They said if I did not want the products they would go $600 for there domain name and Corprite name... ANy more ideas?

5. Macs R Us thread starter macrumors 6502

They don't have any souce code with the domain name (www.midwestmacs.com), but it still seems like a good deal, right?

6. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

Ask yourself how you would recoup your investment. You already have a business name etc so would the new (presumably additional) name bring enough new business to justify the cost (i.e. goodwill)?

You would be paying for an intangible, and it is very difficult to place a value on the intangible (unless the cost of registering a new business name / domain name exceeds $600).

I'm puzzled - why would you want to do this?

7. Macs R Us thread starter macrumors 6502

Well that is a good point, but I was just thinking it would bring in more $ since it would be something such as "Midwest Macs A Sub-site of Macs R Us Computers".... Well I don't know he said the cost is negotable... Well you may be right but I sure would like to know for sure...

8. Macs R Us thread starter macrumors 6502

Further more I thoguht it would be good since I too am in theh Midwest and thats actuly the reason they asked me, so I oculd pick them up and disscue it further...

9. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

Fair enough.

They are going out of business, so I assume the name and site were not enough to bring in the $$.
    Why would the same name and site do any more for you?

Sorry if I sound harsh - I have seen too many people burned by buying intangibles that have no real $ effect.

If it was me, I would buy the h/w at a competitive price (given the likely demand), then drive a hard bargain on the name and site.

BTW. I couldn't get to that server.

Good luck

10. Macs R Us thread starter macrumors 6502

You were not harsh at all, I'm glad that you gave the advise. I know that there site is no longer on but... Well I shall e-mail to see if they will go $100 for the name and domain name and see what happens...

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

In your post, Control-click (or right click) -> Spelling -> "Spelling..."

12. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

If there are people that they were supporting, then it might be a good investment. Because the people will go to the other business's website, and get redirect to your site saying that you are picked up their name, and offer the same stuff the old business was offering. Then those people will hopfully do business with you. If they weren't doing well, then I say no because this wont bring in good business. Plus, you have your company name and domain already, no need to buy them out for theirs.

13. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I would say if you are going to absorb that company that you get a lawyer who is knowledgable in asset aquisitions.

You have to be careful, as this can also lead to you aquiring any debt they might have as well. Especially if they used a business loan to acquire the said inventory of computers they are offering as part of the deal. A bad situation would be, they default on that loan and the bank comes looking for the merchandise. Not sure what kind of protection you would have in this case, as I am not a lawyer.

Bottom line, do this the right way (ie accountants and lawyers) and you should be okay.