How Apple can dominate market share for the OS

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wPod, Oct 19, 2005.

1. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

A friend showed me this article, from Paul Thurrott, a total windows supporter.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_editions.asp

The article describes all of the different editions of Windows Vista, and all the things each edition is capable of. A total of about 9 different versions, I think, its all a bit confusing (but hey, its windows!!).

I think the article can be summed up with this quote:
    So, in conclusion, for Apple to dominate market share for operating systems, all they need to do is release a single version of OS X for x86. . . and people will switch because its more simple, secure and powerful than any of the dozens of Vista versions that will be offered!

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

not as simple as it seems, since they would have to buy a Mac

3. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

I think he meant if Apple decided to release a PC-compatible OS X on x86. Which most likely won't happen, at least for a long time.

4. qzak macrumors 6502

still, not as easy as it seems. people who have never used OS X and those who don't even know what it is will simply look at the sales guy and say something like "just give me Windows, I don't care which one, as long as I can get online and check my email!".

5. wPod thread starter macrumors 68000

wPod

yeah, thats what i was going for OSX for ANY x86

yeah, there are still people who run windows 95. . . but think about it, im sure there are many people with iPods who would like to give OS X a try, but dont want to fork out for the new apple hardware, and would rather just install it on whatever dull they have back at home. i know for a fact the IT dept i work in would switch everything to OSX if it could go on any x86 machine. . . . but we just dont have enough money to buy all new hardware!