Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Music's main draw is its focus on curation and its ability to learn about your music preferences to provide recommendations that suit your tastes. Apple's new Music app focuses heavily on content discovery, with an entire "For You" section dedicated to recommendations.

According to Apple, its music experts "handpick songs, artists, and albums based on what you listen to and like," and this content is what populates the "For You" section. Apple's explained that "For You" recommendations get better over time based on "whether you love a song or not," but the company hasn't explicitly spelled out how to best use likes and listens to better tailor Apple Music to your tastes.

To clear up confusion on how recommendations work, The Loop's Jim Dalrymple has spoken directly with Apple to get some insight on how the "Like" feature in Apple Music works to affect recommendations, and he's penned a useful guide on liking from the information he obtained, which is well worth reading.

Any song played from Beats 1 radio, a default radio station, a curated playlist, or from a search can be liked by expanding the miniplayer and tapping the heart icon. You can essentially heart anything that's playing via Apple Music.

likingapplemusic-800x570.jpg

As Dalrymple explains, tapping the heart button on a song you like influences the content that's then displayed in the "For You" section of Apple Music. As more content is liked, the feature gets a better idea of each individual user's tastes, and is able to offer up a more tailored selection of music. Music that's added to a library and music that's played in full also affects "For You."
Tapping the heart does affect "For You," the section of Apple Music that's custom built with playlists, albums and songs tailored to your individual tastes. For You also takes into account music you add to your library and full plays you listen to. Skips aren't really taken into account, because there are so many reasons you may skip a song--maybe you're just not in the mood for it right now.
Radio stations created from individual songs, done by tapping on the hamburger button when any song is playing and choosing "Start Station," work a bit differently. Instead of displaying a heart, these playlists display a star. Tapping the star allows you to choose "Play More Like This" or "Play Less Like This" to tune a radio station to your particular tastes at that time without affecting overall "For You" recommendations.

playlesslikethisapplemusic-800x707.jpg

Pressing on any album or playlist recommendation in "For You" gives you an option to customize the section even more, by choosing "I Don't Like This Suggestion." It appears that this customization option is limited to iOS devices for the time being, as Apple Music on Mac doesn't offer this menu.

dislikesuggestionsapplemusic-800x707.jpg

Apple Music's ability to offer up intensively tailored song recommendations over time may be one of the reasons why Apple insisted on giving users a three month trial to experience the service. Regularly liking songs and culling the "For You" section of recommendations that aren't suitable should vastly change the quality of suggestions over the course of the next few months.

Article Link: How Apple Music's Liking System Works to Customize 'For You' Recommendations

ckelley

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2003
Austin, TX
Only complaint I have about the liking feature so far is if I'm listening to Beats 1 and "heart" a song, it rarely goes away for the next one, unless it's a song that you can't tap the heart icon on anyways. Is it counting that I've liked this song? Is it just a UI bug? It doesn't do this on the other radio stations, so I'm guessing it's a UI bug. Hopefully this can be fixed, otherwise it's been a great experience on Beats 1 so far.

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
Only complaint I have about the liking feature so far is if I'm listening to Beats 1 and "heart" a song, it rarely goes away for the next one, unless it's a song that you can't tap the heart icon on anyways. Is it counting that I've liked this song? Is it just a UI bug? It doesn't do this on the other radio stations, so I'm guessing it's a UI bug. Hopefully this can be fixed, otherwise it's been a great experience on Beats 1 so far.

Been having this same issue. It basically "loves" every song after it until I hit the heart again. At least, that's what it seems to do.

Reactions: smarch

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
It's a UI glitch ... it happens to me in iTunes. It shows I "loved" everything, but then the UI seems to adjust and then shows my actual likes.

Reactions: daniel4

Berti10

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2012
I don't use Apple Music (not even the free trial) so "For You" and "New" disappeared. But I still have that non-functional Heart everywhere. And a Radio Tab where only B1 and BBC Tech works.. My iPhone now feels like it has a Tumor. Thx Apple

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I think Apple needs to add more options when the ellipse is selected, there's not enough of them. :rolleyes:

If I could find the heart for list length I would start with selecting yes to that. :p

With the ability to scroll we should indeed have more options.

I did however learn a new trick here from this article. I had the like and the play more/less like this covered but didn't see the "I don't like this suggestion" until I read it here. Learning more all the time.

Spendlove

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2015
Cambridge UK
Apple Music - "Do you like Biffy Clyro, Katherine Jenkins and Whitney Houston?"

Me - "No thank you Apple" delete, delete, delete.

Me - "Must have done something wrong, could have sworn I clicked no" DELETE DELETE DELETE

Me - "ARGHHH!" DELETE DELETE DELETE

Me - *sounds of smashing iPhone*

KisonBY

macrumors member
May 26, 2015
is there any way i can show a list of the songs i have "hearted" ?
Interested in that too. The closest I came to solving this is creating Smart Playlist in iTunes that shows items that I have "hearted". The catch here is that Smart Playlists act only on music from "My Music". So if you "hearted" something and also hit "Add to My Music" on it - it will show up in that Smart Playlist, if you just "hearted" it (and it's not already in "My Music") - it will not.

Speaking of which, I would love to have an option to automatically add "hearted" (loved) songs to "My Music". It's so annoying to manually "Add to My Music" since it is in sub-menu which means not only more clicks, but it's also not available from iPhone lock screen or from Apple Watch.

daniel4

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2009
New York
iTunes for Mac does offer stars and "Never play this song again" for non-curated stations. So if you generate a station from an obscure artist for example, you will get the option for Stars and even Hearts.

Populism

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
I wish the new "For You" system relied on the old five-star rating system that has been in place since the dawn of iTunes. It gets the same job done, many of us rely heavily on the star system for creating smart playlists, and it isn't as binary as a simply hear/no-heart system.

GaryWatson

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2015
Thousand Oaks, CA

Apple Music's main draw is its focus on curation and its ability to learn about your music preferences to provide recommendations that suit your tastes. Apple's new Music app focuses heavily on content discovery, with an entire "For You" section dedicated to recommendations.

I guess I don't get the utility of making recommendations, creating playlists, or making radio stations based on a single song. In all cases it should look at the totality of my "likes" and "Loves" and "hates" and offer suggestions based on that. For example when you set up the app you go through a tedious process of selecting bubbles, yet the "for you" page is almost entirely, or perhaps entirely, based on responses to single selections of genre or a particular artist or a particular song that I've "liked". Maybe I just haven't found the magic button in the UI...

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

KisonBY

macrumors member
May 26, 2015
I guess I don't get the utility of making recommendations, creating playlists, or making radio stations based on a single song. In all cases it should look at the totality of my "likes" and "Loves" and "hates" and offer suggestions based on that. For example when you set up the app you go through a tedious process of selecting bubbles, yet the "for you" page is almost entirely, or perhaps entirely, based on responses to single selections of genre or a particular artist or a particular song that I've "liked". Maybe I just haven't found the magic button in the UI...
Wow, people are impatient. UI is not perfect, but I would not call the initial setup "tedious". Plus you do this once. It just can't read your mind, so give it some info so it has a chance to suggest relevant music to you.
And give it some time to learn about your music tastes - I'm pretty sure you will see better "For You" content. After 2 days I already like mine a lot - found quite a few new songs and artists that I like!

drew1319

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2011
Kent Ohio
Apple Music in iTunes actually DOES have both the heart and the star. I'm using right now. Although, it seems like you have to be in mini-player mode to see the star feature. Yes, you do, I just checked.

enthusiastic

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2013
Click the ellipsis ... select "Add to My Music"...

You can also add the song to a Playlist.

I know, but I expected the heart to add the song to say Favorites or something whenever I heart a song. What you say requires a lot of effort. But that's what I'm doing right now.

Reactions: deannnnn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.