Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
If you bought a car and took delivery of it and the next day you see a crack in the windshield and than take the car back to the dealer. WHO do you think would pay for it. I rest my case.:apple:

A car is unlikely to be on your person the whole time. While your car is sat outside, anyone could walk up and smack the windscreen with a bat.

If a phone screen cracks under 'normal use' then it's a manufacturing defect.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
If a phone screen cracks under 'normal use' then it's a manufacturing defect.

That's bs.
Screens don't crack on their own. Anyone can say it cracked by itself under "normal use" but reality is people break their screens every day. There's companies that make millions every year just repairing iphone screens.
Weather intentional or not its cause by the user and physical damage is not something Apple covers as stated in the TOS.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
That's bs.
Screens don't crack on their own. Anyone can say it cracked by itself under "normal use" but reality is people break their screens every day. There's companies that make millions every year just repairing iphone screens.
Weather intentional or not its cause by the user and physical damage is not something Apple covers as stated in the TOS.

Because mass market products never have manufacturing defects... They're all 100% perfect ;)

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
the crack could be something pressing on your pocket. I know I had my phone in my jeans once, one of my kids must´ve walked over it or something an early moening, and just like that, cracked glass.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Posts like this make me feel embarrassed to be an Apple fan. I can't believe how entitled some people feel. Im glad Apple is finally cracking down at their Genius bar.

Cracked screen just happened? Oh please. That's what they all say when they don't want to admit they broke it.

If you buy a new car and then you see a dent the next day, the dealer will tell you to pay up or leave. They won't give you a new car.

Last edited:

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
My assumption would be that the OP broke the screen. Usually when you leave from a Genius appointment, you inspect the phone before you leave. The OP said he put it in his pocket then it came out cracked. Was the OP wearing tight skinny jeans? Did the phone bend at some point in his pocket? My guess would be yes.

With that out of the way, sounds like the OP needs to switch to another phone like Android or something. The iPhone just isn't working out for him.

srxtr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
ill tell you what, if the phone was cracked out of the box, it would be a different story. but its just like any product you buy and walk out of the store or off the lot with. a crack is almost 100% unlikely to happen on its own or come that way out of box. cracks almost always occur due to impact, which would be your fault. if it was an internal manufacturing defect, like the other problems you had, it would be covered no problem. but unfortunately, as much as i would have hoped for them to cover the crack, its nearly impossible to prove you didnt cause it. i cant blame them for denying you another or a fix on their dime. i hate to say it, but they are right. im sure if there was a crack, you or the genius would have noticed it immediately.

I do agree with you, though there were plenty of previous cases where scratched iPhone 5s were being returned and exchanged. How were they to tell it wasn't the customers who accidentally dropped the iPhone and scratched it themselves?

But you're right, Apple has absolutely no problem replacing iPhone 5 with internal defects.

----------

Could someone have stepped on it while it was under the seat?

It was a car seat, and I was the only one in the car that day.

----------

Could the cracked screen be caused by putting the phone in your pocket?

I've always put my iPhone 3G/4/5 in my pocket with no problem. iPhones should be allowed to stay in your pocket without the screen cracking...

----------

Call me cynical, but it doesn't take a 'genius' to work out what were all thinking...

Yes, I'm on my 4th iPhone 5, which is ridiculous I know, and from a 3rd party perspective I probably look picky, but I'm really not.

I'm fine with cosmetic defects, but when WiFi/Camera/VolumeControl have problems then I won't stand for it.

----------

No, it doesn't. Lol, I just replaced my iPhone 5 due to a faulty lock button.
I even took it in with iOS 7 restored (that was the only IPSW I had on my mac) and they gave me a refurb in 2 minutes.

Edit : I'm a dev.

This was exactly my case when I took mine in for the faulty volume button, the Genius had no problem swapping mine out.

It was the Genius I had to deal with the next day that pointed these out and acted like a douche.

----------

Nobody knows what else was in your pocket or how many walls you bumped into or tripped over. After having 3 bricked iphones, hopefully you noticed people use cases or by plastic phones instead. The fact that you have an impact spot shows something hit your phone or your phone hit something.

I guess I forgot to mention, I'm paranoid about cracking my iPhone, so I ALWAYS have screen protectors and cases.

The iPhone screen cracked WITH a case on it. (Man, I guess that's an important detail actually).

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I don't believe the OP is a developer. And just because you walked out of the store like you did, that does not negate what is in the contract you signed. Apple just didn't hold you to it that day. Unless I am misreading, both of those contracts state (in so many words) that installing the beta (developer or not) means that you are on your own, if something happens to your device while using said beta. An Apple employee "may" help someone when they aren't legally obligated. That isn't the same as it not voiding the warranty, which installing the beta does, in as far as both contracts are concerned.

The following is taken from Applecare:

"This Warranty does not apply: (a) to consumable parts, such as batteries or protective coatings that are designed to diminish over time, unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship; (b) to cosmetic damage, including but not limited to scratches, dents and broken plastic on ports; (c) to damage caused by use with another product; (d) to damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, liquid contact, fire, earthquake or other external cause; (e) to damage caused by operating the Apple Product outside Apple’s published guidelines; (f) to damage caused by service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (“AASP”); (g) to an Apple Product that has been modified to alter functionality or capability without the written permission of Apple; (h) to defects caused by normal wear and tear or otherwise due to the normal aging of the Apple Product, or (i) if any serial number has been removed or defaced from the Apple Product."

The following is from the Registered Developer Agreement

"13.
No Warranty.
APPLE AND ITS AFFILIATES, SUBSIDIARIES, OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, PARTNERS, AND
LICENSORS (COLLECTIVELY, “
APPLE
” FOR PURPOSES OF THIS SECTION 13 AND 14) DO NOT PROMISE THAT THE SITE, CONTENT,
SERVICES (INCLUDING, FUNCTIONALITY OR FEATURES OF THE FOREGOING), COMPATIBILITY LABS, DTS SERVICES, OR ANY OTHER
INFORMATION OR MATERIALS THAT YOU RECEIVE AS A REGISTERED APPLE DEVELOPER (COLLECTIVELY, THE “
SERVICE
” FOR
PURPOSES OF THIS SECTION 13 AND 14) WILL BE ACCURATE, RELIABLE, TIMELY, SECURE, ERROR-FREE OR UNINTERRUPTED, OR THAT
ANY DEFECTS WILL BE CORRECTED. THE SERVICE IS PROVIDED ON AN “AS-IS” AND “AS-AVAILABLE” BASIS AND THE SERVICE IS
SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE. APPLE CANNOT ENSURE THAT ANY CONTENT (INCLUDING FILES, INFORMATION OR OTHER
DATA) YOU ACCESS OR DOWNLOAD FROM THE SERVICE WILL BE FREE OF VIRUSES, CONTAMINATION OR DESTRUCTIVE FEATURES.
FURTHER, APPLE DOES NOT GUARANTEE ANY RESULTS OR IDENTIFICATION OR CORRECTION OF PROBLEMS AS PART OF THE SERVICE
AND APPLE DISCLAIMS ANY LIABILITY RELATED THERETO. APPLE DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING ANY
WARRANTIES OF ACCURACY, NON-INFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. APPLE DISCLAIMS
ANY AND ALL LIABILITY FOR THE ACTS, OMISSIONS AND CONDUCT OF ANY THIRD PARTIES IN CONNECTION WITH OR RELATED TO YOUR
USE OF THE SERVICE. YOU ASSUME TOTAL RESPONSIBILITY AND ALL RISKS FOR YOUR USE OF THE SERVICE, INCLUDING, BUT NOT
LIMITED TO, ANY INFORMATION OBTAINED THEREON. YOUR SOLE REMEDY AGAINST APPLE FOR DISSATISFACTION WITH THE SERVICE
IS TO STOP USING THE SERVICE. THIS LIMITATION OF RELIEF IS A PART OF THE BARGAIN BETWEEN THE PARTIES. To the extent that Apple
makes any pre-release or other products, services or information related thereto available to you as a Registered Apple Developer, you understand
that Apple is under no obligation to provide updates, enhancements, or corrections, or to notify you of any product or services changes that Apple
may make, or to publicly announce or introduce the product(s) or service at any time in the future."

That's BS. The following statement is applied to devs:

"This version of iOS is intended only for installation on development devices registered with Apple's Developer Program. Attempting to install this version of iOS in an unauthorized manner could put your device in an unusable state, which could necessitate an out of warranty repair."

Which means - restore to iOS6 = covered under warranty. Cannot restore to iOS6 = not covered. It's pretty simple.

As for the op - I'm sorry, but screens don't just break on their own. Do you know how many people try that on when they've broken their phones? When you leave the Apple store, you are signing to say you accept the service - you should have inspected the device when you got it. And let's face it - if you've been through 5 phones you're obviously quite picky. if there was a crack when you got it - you'd have seen it.

If you pick up a new car, don't bother checking it, notice a scratch a day later and so take it back to the dealer, they'll tell you to get eff'd. You need to check these things when you get them.

rw3

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
DFW, TX
A single hairline crack in the display glass or one of the glass inlays on the back of the phone are to be covered under warranty.

srxtr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
I think what you're hearing is disbelief that a phone screen can spontaneously crack without being dropped or impacted against something. Just because you're not aware of what caused the crack once in your possession doesn't mean it didn't crack while in your possession. If you don't have a service plan that protects you against cracked screens, you shouldn't be surprised when Apple doesn't treat you like you do have one.

Further, I don't think you're necessarily mad about this phone. I think it's all the phone issues you've had (which, I'll grant, are a lot!), and this phone was the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak.

But, aside from that, Apple most certainly did not STEAL $150 from you. You may be mad Apple made you pay to get it fixed, instead of giving you a freebie, but they're not obligated to give freebies.

Not sure if most people here read the one important detail in my post:

Came home, played around with the iPhone 5 in the living room, put it in my pocket, went to my computer, took it out to discover a crack on it.

I may have been up and about, but the crack happened while I was home. I didn't drop it during the time, the most I did was put it in my pocket.

Like I mentioned previously, thinking about it from a 3rd party's perspective it's difficult to believe a crack can just happen on its own. My guess is my iPhone screen had a tiny crack that wasn't visible, and with some lucky pressure on the screen it caused a single crack.

Seriously though, how would one drop to cause a crack where there would only be a single crack across the screen? Usually dropping it would cause a web of cracks.

----------

I don't believe the OP is a developer. And just because you walked out of the store like you did, that does not negate what is in the contract you signed. Apple just didn't hold you to it that day. Unless I am misreading, both of those contracts state (in so many words) that installing the beta (developer or not) means that you are on your own, if something happens to your device while using said beta. An Apple employee "may" help someone when they aren't legally obligated. That isn't the same as it not voiding the warranty, which installing the beta does, in as far as both contracts are concerned.

The following is taken from Applecare:

"This Warranty does not apply: (a) to consumable parts, such as batteries or protective coatings that are designed to diminish over time, unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship; (b) to cosmetic damage, including but not limited to scratches, dents and broken plastic on ports; (c) to damage caused by use with another product; (d) to damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, liquid contact, fire, earthquake or other external cause; (e) to damage caused by operating the Apple Product outside Apple’s published guidelines; (f) to damage caused by service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (“AASP”); (g) to an Apple Product that has been modified to alter functionality or capability without the written permission of Apple; (h) to defects caused by normal wear and tear or otherwise due to the normal aging of the Apple Product, or (i) if any serial number has been removed or defaced from the Apple Product."

The following is from the Registered Developer Agreement

"13.
No Warranty.
APPLE AND ITS AFFILIATES, SUBSIDIARIES, OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, PARTNERS, AND
LICENSORS (COLLECTIVELY, “
APPLE
” FOR PURPOSES OF THIS SECTION 13 AND 14) DO NOT PROMISE THAT THE SITE, CONTENT,
SERVICES (INCLUDING, FUNCTIONALITY OR FEATURES OF THE FOREGOING), COMPATIBILITY LABS, DTS SERVICES, OR ANY OTHER
INFORMATION OR MATERIALS THAT YOU RECEIVE AS A REGISTERED APPLE DEVELOPER (COLLECTIVELY, THE “
SERVICE
” FOR
PURPOSES OF THIS SECTION 13 AND 14) WILL BE ACCURATE, RELIABLE, TIMELY, SECURE, ERROR-FREE OR UNINTERRUPTED, OR THAT
ANY DEFECTS WILL BE CORRECTED. THE SERVICE IS PROVIDED ON AN “AS-IS” AND “AS-AVAILABLE” BASIS AND THE SERVICE IS
SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE. APPLE CANNOT ENSURE THAT ANY CONTENT (INCLUDING FILES, INFORMATION OR OTHER
DATA) YOU ACCESS OR DOWNLOAD FROM THE SERVICE WILL BE FREE OF VIRUSES, CONTAMINATION OR DESTRUCTIVE FEATURES.
FURTHER, APPLE DOES NOT GUARANTEE ANY RESULTS OR IDENTIFICATION OR CORRECTION OF PROBLEMS AS PART OF THE SERVICE
AND APPLE DISCLAIMS ANY LIABILITY RELATED THERETO. APPLE DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING ANY
WARRANTIES OF ACCURACY, NON-INFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. APPLE DISCLAIMS
ANY AND ALL LIABILITY FOR THE ACTS, OMISSIONS AND CONDUCT OF ANY THIRD PARTIES IN CONNECTION WITH OR RELATED TO YOUR
USE OF THE SERVICE. YOU ASSUME TOTAL RESPONSIBILITY AND ALL RISKS FOR YOUR USE OF THE SERVICE, INCLUDING, BUT NOT
LIMITED TO, ANY INFORMATION OBTAINED THEREON. YOUR SOLE REMEDY AGAINST APPLE FOR DISSATISFACTION WITH THE SERVICE
IS TO STOP USING THE SERVICE. THIS LIMITATION OF RELIEF IS A PART OF THE BARGAIN BETWEEN THE PARTIES. To the extent that Apple
makes any pre-release or other products, services or information related thereto available to you as a Registered Apple Developer, you understand
that Apple is under no obligation to provide updates, enhancements, or corrections, or to notify you of any product or services changes that Apple
may make, or to publicly announce or introduce the product(s) or service at any time in the future."

I am a registered developer who pay $99 to get my own apps built and installed on my iPhone. I just never released anything in the App Store for $. At least, not yet.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
A single hairline crack in the display glass or one of the glass inlays on the back of the phone are to be covered under warranty.

Only if there is not a point of impact. If there is a point of impact then you're SOL.

srxtr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
if it was a Samsung or any other phone...You would be paying your way to the 4th one...consider your self lucky...people really think they "deserve" or are entitled something from apple...your getting quality what more do you want?

ps mistakes/accidents dont tell you when they are about to happen, maybe somewhere along your route something happened you didn't realize while you were dazed away in your thoughts or what ever else you were doing.

Quality... I'm convinced by the fact that I'm on my 4th one that iPhone 5 has production problems or I'm on an incredibly unlucky streak.

Using the benefit of hindsight, I would have kept the 2nd one with the camera problems and used the $150+tax to get a point and shoot camera.

----------

Why would the OP want to get an 5S if he was treated that way? I guess if that happened to me, and I had that many problems and replacements, I sure would not say that I will give them my money when the next model comes out.

During my angry state, I thought about replacing all my Apple devices with Google's, but I really really don't want to switch to Android/Windows/etc.

I'm stuck with Apple's ecosystem, unfortunately, and my only option is to break away from the curse that is iPhone 5 and get a 5S or downgrade to 4S.

----------

It is plausible that said beta caused his phone to overheat. And the shattering of the glass was a consequence of the OP running the beta. As such, I believe that iOS 7 is proper to bring up.

I have never heard of Gorilla Glass breaking on its own like that, running released software in proper operating temperature and climate.

Who knows what truly happened. Either way, from what the OP has said, I believe that Apple has done a good job of providing him warrantied service. I don't believe Apple is obligated to do anything further for him.

Looking back, I wish Apple had refused to replace my faulty iPhone due to having iOS7 on it. I would have restored to IOS6, came back the next day, and get a replacement that didn't have the defective screen.

----------

and this ladies and gentlemen is why my phone was in an otterbox case before i left the store. no miracle breakage in my pocket or a phantom drop.

My iPhone was in a case.

The only explanation I can think of is (since I didn't drop the phone) the screen had a tiny crack that wasn't visible, and with an unlucky pressure on the screen during usage it gave out.

----------

It is plausible that said beta caused his phone to overheat. And the shattering of the glass was a consequence of the OP running the beta. As such, I believe that iOS 7 is proper to bring up.

I have never heard of Gorilla Glass breaking on its own like that, running released software in proper operating temperature and climate.

Who knows what truly happened. Either way, from what the OP has said, I believe that Apple has done a good job of providing him warrantied service. I don't believe Apple is obligated to do anything further for him.

Forgot to reply to the overheat part.

I think I would know if my iPhone overheats... In fact, I think iOS7 causes less heat.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Do iPhone's not have impact sensors in them?

They have accelerometers. I was told that on a MacBook they are supposed to recognise if the Mac is dropped (more precise, the short time when it is in free fall) and remove the read/write heads from your hard drive to avoid damage on impact. If your MacBook gets smashed but the hard drive still works, that's for many people the most important part by far.

So recognising a drop from height would be simple, but if you put the screen on a hard and uneven surface and then apply pressure until it cracks, that would be hard to detect.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
It is not beyond the realm of possibility that the screen was pre-stressed due to a manufacturing defect, HOWEVER that is practically impossible to prove, unless there are an unusually large number of reports of screens spontaneously cracking - which there are not.

That's life. Move on. At the end of the day Apple does provide excellent overall post-purchase customer care. Not perfect, but you won't find better for smartphones.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Not in my experience....but you are correct in that is how Apple's coverage reads.

According to my sister who's an Apple store manager, a single hairline crack at the edge may be eligible for coverage (even though the official coverage doesn't say this) but that's up to the manager to decide whether to replace. If you have a point of impact anywhere else, no dice.

rw3

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
DFW, TX
According to my sister who's an Apple store manager, a single hairline crack at the edge may be eligible for coverage (even though the official coverage doesn't say this) but that's up to the manager to decide whether to replace. If you have a point of impact anywhere else, no dice.

Your sister needs to reread her iPhone VMI then....

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Single hairline cracks with no damage to the phone are covered under their warranty. Look it up.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
I do agree with you, though there were plenty of previous cases where scratched iPhone 5s were being returned and exchanged. How were they to tell it wasn't the customers who accidentally dropped the iPhone and scratched it themselves?

But you're right, Apple has absolutely no problem replacing iPhone 5 with internal defects.

people werent returning phones with scratches, they were getting brand new phones with scratches or scuffs right out of the box while still in the store. these obviously happened during manufacturing and were a quality control issue.

its not like they left and came back. it was a brand new sealed phone, opened and set up right in front of the apple sales people. those were immediately swapped. if you accepted the phone and walked out with it, then came back the next day....good luck trying to prove it came like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.