How are MacBooks at running games?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MikeyTree, Jan 6, 2007.

1. MikeyTree macrumors 6502

I'm trying to decide whether to get a MBP or a high end macbook. I'm really curious how well MBs can run games though, due to their lack of a graphics card. Several posters have commented that you shouldn't get a MB if you want to play games, but is that because the performance isn't as good, or because they can't run them adequately at all.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

3. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Some have had great performance running CS:S and HL but if you want to play the latest games, get the MBP.

If I had the money, I probably still wouldn't get the MBP cause I don't game at all. I'd use the extra moolah to beef up the RAM, HD and some accessories. I would love to game but I'm too addicted to MRs :p . Actually I need to start studying for the DATs and classes are starting.

4. MikeyTree thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't fully know. My current computer is so old that I haven't looked at new games in ages. I'm not a hardcore gamer, but every once in a while I like to pick up a new game to play.

I'm not really interested in shooters, but would like to be able to run WoW and similar games at least. I'd also like to be able to run games that come out a year or two from now.

5. Quboid macrumors 6502

I honestly thing serious gamers should go after Pc's. Macs were not really made for gamming.

But if you insist. the MBP is a better option.

6. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Just search this forum. There are numerous MacBook-gaming threads, some are really huge.

Seriously, if you want to play games, MacBook (or Mac mini or 999$ iMac) is no better than 2-year old Macs.

Also, if you find the MacBook gaming threads not to be enough, you can scroll through the BareFeats site. They have a lot of benchmarks.

:)

7. mrploddy macrumors member

Don't believe the naysayers who claim the Macbook is crap for games.

Yes you will need to install Windows XP on bootcamp and max the ram to 2GB *BUT* I personally am running a 2Ghz CD with 2GB ram with Bootcamp XP and using a program called 3D Analyzer I'm able to run Oblivion and Neverwinter Nights 2 at 800x600 / 1024x768 at a reasonable frame rate.

Thats because the GMA950 doesnt have hardware T&L so normally the games would crash out but 3D Analyzer emulates that and it's able to run. To me both Oblivion and Never Winter Nights 2 run acceptably but your mileage may vary on what you consider to be acceptable. eg as long as you don't mind the resolution being turned down and a few details turned off the games will run BUT if you're expecting 1600x1200 with 50fps at full detail then DONT buy a macbook but if you're an occasional gamer who doesnt mind the caveats that I've mentioned then it'll work fine.

-mrploddy

8. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

i only play wc3 on bnet and its OK on my mb, i have 2gbs of ram and its ok. but its not nearly as smooth as on my desktop.

9. thechris69 macrumors 6502

thechris69

just turn the settings down and you should be fine