How are the Momentus XT Hybrid Drives? Does anyone know their average speed?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by circa7, Jan 10, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

Im coming from a windows pc with a SSD that produces 250mb/s and just bought a macbook pro. I'm deciding on a new drive - I need extra space but down want to spend $500 to get it. Since my current SSD isn't BLAZING fast, would I notice that much difference with a momentus?

2. macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Here's a CNET review of that drive. It only has 8 gigs of flash ram.

http://reviews.cnet.com/internal-hard-drives/seagate-momentus-xt-second/4505-9998_7-35089066.html#!

I looked at this when I upgraded my 08 MBP but passed for a Western Digital Scorpio Black and a 128 gig SSD.

Dale

3. macrumors member

rampancy

I've got the older 1st Gen 500 GB Momentus XT humming away quite nicely in my 2006 Core Duo MacBook. The paltry 8 GB of Flash is a significant weakpoint of the Momentus XT, and that Flash memory is used by the drive as a read cache; all writes go directly to the hard drive. On the upside it is a 7200 rpm drive, with a healthy 32 MB cache.

In terms of price/performance, it normally doesn't beat out the combo of a decent large hard drive and an SSD, but it is worth looking into if it's on sale; I got mine when one of my local dealers had a $50 off sale; leaving it costing about as much as an equivalent 8 MB 5400 rpm drive.