How are the World of Warcraft servers doing?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Elan0204, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

I bought World of Warcraft over the Thanksgiving holiday (got a good deal on it), but have been holding off on joining until the server issues have been resolved and things are more stable. From reading the Blizzard forums it seems like people are having mixed experiences, so I thought I would come to MacRumors and ask what your experiences with the servers have been like.

It looks like the current problems are because there are too many people on a given server, but they don't what to switch to one of the low population servers becasue they will lose their character. Is that true? Are there a bunch of low population servers that I can join without having to worry about excessive queues and lag?

I also read that most of the low population servers are in the Pacific Time Zone. Are there any in the Central Time Zone? Due to the times of the scheduled daily maintanance I'd much rather be in my time zone.

Finally, if there are any other Central Time Zone players here, post your character name and server, so maybe we can meet up.

2. Spymit007 macrumors regular

Spymit007

So far, I've had a really good experience with the servers. My gameplay lags, but that's because I only have a GeForce2 right now (getting a 256MB FX 5700 in the mail sometime before the weekend). Last Saturday when I played, they took off my server for about 2 hours for maintenance. No biggie, but a mild inconvenience. Just about a half hour ago, the server had to reset itself. I am told this takes up to 10 minutes. I decided to stop and get some dinner anyway.

Other than that, I've had nothing but smooth sailing.

BTW, I'm a lvl 14 night elf druid named Beastoran on the Medivh server.

3. Elan0204 thread starter macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Thanks for the reply Spymit007. I see you are in Massachusetts, are you playing in the your time zone (Eastern) or the Central Time Zone?

Could you maybe do me a favor and take a screenshot (F13 key, screenshots are saved in a seperate folder in your WoW folder) of the Realm list for the Central Time Zone so I can get some idea of the server populations?

Anyone else care to share their thoughts/experiences on the WoW servers?

4. Spymit007 macrumors regular

Spymit007

The Medivh server is in my time zone. From what I can tell, it consistently has a medium population.

5. neverever macrumors newbie

Theres a way to bypass the queues

http://www.mmoplayer.com/

Btw can some1 take some screens with vertex shaders on for me? No I havent bought the game, just played in OB, MMORPG not my thing.

6. Elan0204 thread starter macrumors 65816

Elan0204

That site wants me to pay to get that information. If you know the info post it here for free, don't post spam or advertise for a pay site.

Anyone have any information on Central Time Zone population sizes?

7. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

Yes! I get back 4 more days!

They've got alot of servers now, and when a server does go down, it's not for long.

8. iZzle macrumors member

Hey Elan! I'm on the Central server Alleria. It's PvE. I'm a 17 Dwarf Hunter. I'm one of three founders of my guild, The Creed, and we would love to have you when you start playing!
    Recently they have been taking down the servers around 2 and 3 am. :confused: they posted official daily maint. times. I believe it's 3-4 our times (pm). Anyway I havent seen a wait to connect to the servers since the first day of retail. :)

9. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

i don't think horrendous explains how poorly the WoW servers are doing...they crash intermittently. to make it worse, there are no problems with the pacific and mountain realms...yet they can't fix central and eastern...LET ME SWITCH MY ****ING CHARACTER IF YOU CAN"T FIX YOUR OWN ****! i'm getting ready to just say to hell with it and cancel my subscription. I've invested too much time into my character to just up and start over...but that's really my only alternative to just flat quitting, which seems to be my only remaining option.

10. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

IT MAKES ZERO DIFFERENCE HOW MANY SERVERS THEY HAVE IF THEY DON'T MOVE CONGESTION OFF OF THE OVERLOADED SERVERS!!!! NOBODY is going to switch, and blizzard's inability to satisfy it's customers needs is really turning me against them. I used to love blizzard, but am starting to notice how they are just kind of coasting along on their previous successes.

11. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

Is it really that bad on your server? I play on a loaded server (always says 'High' Population) and it's only crashed on me once. What server are you on? How's your internet connection? Latency? Reconnect ability?

Edit: Is the server kicking you, or is it crashing wildly...

12. Elan0204 thread starter macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Hi iZzle! Thanks for the offer. I definitely don't want to spend my time waiting in queues and stuck in lag, so if your server seems to be good, I'll be sure to remember your server name for when I create my character.

This is my first MMORPG, so I don't really know much about the whole guild thing. Maybe you can explain it a bit to me? How would I go about joining your guild? What are the advantages to being in a guild? I tend to be more of a solo player (since this is my first MMORPG), but during open beta I quickly discovered the benefit of having a party. If I join a guild can I still party with other players if no one in the guild is working on my quest? I know I need to be Alliance to join your guild (since I saw you were a dwarf), but are there any other race/class requirements? Is it going to be a problem that you are already level 17 when I haven't even started playing? Sorry for all the questions, I am a total newb to this. I've been reading the Blizzard forums, and there so many things I don't understand thanks to all the acronyms and "MMORPG speak."

As for BrianKonarsMac's complaints, I shouldn't have to worry about that right? As long as I'm not trying to join one of the already full servers that everyone joined on the first day, I shouldn't have too many problems? iZzle, is your guild on one of the high population servers?

13. zosma macrumors newbie

I play on the Central server Garona, my Alliance characters are Cruniac, Alkaia, Jari, Eir and a Horde character Myrdred.

It is a high population server and can start to have some issues during peak hours. So far I have experienced a few of server restarts during gameplay, it has also been taken down for maintenance a couple of times. This being said the performance has vastly improved since the first weekend and I have never had to wait in line to log on. Last night I had high latency for the first time ever and it was only for a bout 10 minutes.

My biggest complaint is not about server performance and I think Blizzard has done a great job handling the unexpected numbers. Rather, I get bugged by people stealing my mineral veins and treasure chests and tapping my monsters.

I think the servers are more than good enough to play on.

14. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I am mostly on a low pop pacific server now, and there is very rarely, if ever, any lag at all. It's a little more of a problem on the eastern server that my other character is on, but still, not that bad. They mostly fixed the lag after the first few days.

15. soloer macrumors 6502a

soloer

I've been playing on a Pacific server and don't know what a queue is (yet). However, the server I picked is listed as PvE on the Blizzard forums - although I'm sure it said PvP when I picked it. :mad: Guess it's time to change servers..

16. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

I still don't quite follow the whole idea of dividing servers for PVP and PVE.
    I know they had a problem with this in Diablo with playerkill, but why go to extremes. I mostly don't duel, but on occasion, it could be fun... :rolleyes:
    In Matrix, you can simply get approval from both parties if they want to square off. And if offer is declined, same person can't challenge again for the next 5 minutes.

And I agree about whole blizzard coasting on early success. They make decent products but after Starcraft nothing really groundbreaking. And with all the time it takes for them to release a game and constant delays, I'd expect something better. As far as networking, thats their weak spot. Don't you remember situation when Diablo 2 hit stores? I think I was in line to make the game for 3 hours (over 10k people infront). And strategy games are relatively laggy as well. They still can't put a cap on hackers either. I understand cheating is unstopable, but blizzard seems to give up after some time. They ban like thousands of D2 accounts but it obviously does little. And how many times have i submitted screenshots of people cheating and even admitting it (blizzard asks you to do that), but I've never seen anything done to those people. All their accounts are active and cheating continues as before.

And considering all their best guys are leaving or left, I don't know if they will make things better now.
    I'm not just bashing Blizz cuz I hate them, I'm just dishing out my opinion since I have most of their games, even early 2d ones. And I'd like to see blizz make something in the ranks of warhammer 40k.

17. Elan0204 thread starter macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Since iZzle hasn't visited this thread again to answer the questions I posted above about guilds, maybe someone else would be willing to try answering them.

The questions can all be found in my last post above, the one that quotes iZzle.