How are those iPhone bills going for ya?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kulimer, Nov 24, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

Hello guys,
    I am considering getting the iPhone 5, it really is not expensive with a 2 year contract. But I really think companies like AT&T is nailing you on the phone bill, considering that it is a variable cost (not a one time fixed cost).

So, I would like to know how is everyone doing with his/her phone bill, before I make the decision to get mine.

2. macrumors P6

dukebound85

How does my ability to pay my phone bill help you exactly. I'm confused

3. macrumors regular

I think he wants to know on average what we pay if it goes up or down etc

4. macrumors regular

iALLOUT4eva

My GF,her mom, and I all pay 63 a piece each month. This is the sprint unlimited everything package.

5. macrumors 6502a

spork183

In a nutshell, we have a family plan with 4 phones. 2 are iphones and 2 are just voice and texting. One of the iphones has unlimited data (no longer available). To change one of the regular phones to a smart phone data plan would run me about $32 more per month plus the price of the phone. For the 4 phones (2 smart phones and 2 plain) Our Verizon bill averages about $180/month. To go with 4 iphones, our bill would jump to about $240/month.

Don't know if that helps or not. ;)

6. macrumors member

OK, this is advice from a different country (Switzerland), but if I were in the US, I'd look for an "everything unlimited" plan, so I know what I'm spending, with no extras, period.

I currently pay $129/month for flat Internet with 21 Mbit/s speed, unlimited calls inside the country, unlimited texts, 100 minutes of calls abroad and 100 MBytes of data usage while roaming. The same can be had for as low as $69/month: data is slower, and there are no minutes abroad included.

So again, if you get an unlimited plan, you don't have to worry about how much you spend.

7. macrumors regular

seeharrison

I'm in the US and have AT&T. With two iPhones, unlimited talk/text and 6GB of shared data, my bill runs about $140 a month.

8. macrumors 6502

Well you have a few options. If the high monthly rates with AT&T/Verizon are a concern I would suggest lookin at some of the prepaid options.

- Straighttalk is an mvno that uses AT&T own towers. It is $45 unlimited everything. I believe there is a 2GB unwritten cap on the data though

T-Mobile has a $60 prepaid plan for unlimited everything with a soft data cap of 2GB, 5GB for $70

Only downsides to these services are that you will have to pay the full upfront price for the iPhone 5. Also with Tmobile the 3G data speeds for the iPhone might not be available yet depending on your area. No LTE access for either of these networks either.

Otherwise you will have to suck it up and pay $100+ per month with AT&T/Verizon or a little less with sprint but with poor coverage and slow 3G data.

9. macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Single iPhone tiered data plan. 3GB/month. 450 minutes and unlimited text. I pay $90/month with a government/military discount. If I could get away with 200 or less minutes I would. I don't need that much for non-AT&T calls.

10. macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

We pay more per month because we are smartphone users, and are expected to have higher priced bills. You've got to pay to play.

11. macrumors member

£40 a month, was paying round 35 with ip4 but instead of 1gb i get unlimited data.

hopefully 3 can have some of ee`s 4g (think they own some of it, dont know the in and outs of it)

12. macrumors 68020

How is my phone bill a variable cost? I sign up for a plan and my bill stays the same (within one cent) for two years...

13. macrumors 601

gotluck

If you dont have unlimited data/ voice and you go over your cap, the bill would be a variable cost.