How Are You Spending Your Holidays?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Abstract, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    How Are You Spending Your Holidays?

Where are you going on X-mas day? Or X-mas eve? Where are you spending time on or around X-mas day? And if you don't celebrate X-mas, then what will you do, and what have you done around this time that's a bit special?

How about your New Years?

I just went to a Jew-mas (Chanukah and Christmas combined party), or Chrisnukah, which is what people are calling it now (thanks to "The O.C." for having such an influence on society :rolleyes: ).

Since I just finished my degree and came back to Canada from Australia, I really miss being in Canada and so I've just been feeling warm and merry at this time. Christmas in Australia would have been too different.

For New Years, I plan to go this bar/club in downtown Toronto with a lot of my friends. It'll only cost $25 to get in that night, which is quite low when compared to some other places.
  2. blackfox macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2003
    How am I spending the holidays?

Same as always:

alone in the dark with a bottle of whisky.

actually, I will be doing the traditional thing with the family and a couple of friends whose families are too far away/non-existent. Presents, big feast, heavy drinking, board games...the usual.

I will be spending New Years in relatively warm Austin TX (to Portland OR), which is where I lived before moving to Portland. Haven't been back in a couple of years, so it will nice to see old friends and hangouts and get drunk with/in them. My birthday is January 2nd, so it will probably be a several day always. Will also be happy to eat some decent mexican food again.
  3. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    chrismas: Portland, OR
    new year: Seattle, WA

nice to be finally done with work...
  4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    x-mas eve: work, then driving into chicago, hanging out with gf hopefully
    x-mas day: church (not a believer but go for the sake of my 'rents) then presents, and then i get to hang out with my mom's side of the family for the whole day
    Dec 29: my dad's side of the family gets together (i dont know why on a wed. though)
    new years eve: work, and then heading to chicago again to see the gf
    new years day: spending the entire day with my gf

thats whats going on in a nutshell, its crazy hectic because i work in between chicago and Dekalb (where my apartment is) so i will be spending a few days here and there in chicago, and be chilling at my place the rest of the time, and working as well, stupid retail job getting me through college
  5. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    Christmas here in Arkansas
    New Years in Egypt.

6. blackfox macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2003

If you want some tips about Portland, feel free to PM me. I am not sure how long you will be here (well, less than a week), but Portalnd has lots of interesting things to see/do. Let me know....
  7. MattG macrumors 68040

May 27, 2003
    Fletcher, NC
    Christmas morning w/ my family (10 miles up the road), then going to a family friend's house for Christmas dinner.

As for New Year' plans. I'll probably just get loaded or something.
  8. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says...I do not celebrate christmas at all so all it means to me is an extra 2 days off work - nice 4 day weekend. I will use the time to catch up on some correspondence and hopefully pull out that old 8 track reel and finish a remix I've been having trouble getting "just right." ....oh yeah!
  9. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000

all these last weeks, in december, i have been doing three part time jobs for ten days straight but i will have christmas off so i can sleep

next week, three jobs again but i will have new year's day off so i can sleep again...i will catch the last hour or two of a new year's party on the 31st, after work of course, but it's just about paying bills this season in recession-wracked rural california

i vow to take time off next year and have the days before and after christmas and the days before and after new year's off and carefree

there is nothing that sucks as bad as working late christmas eve and late new year's eve but sometimes the cards fall that way

times are bad for many, if not most in the states and i hate to use the word recession, but it accurately defines the state of the nation over here...bah humbug
  10. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Jun 17, 2003
    Corvallis, Oregon
    December 23, I went to my dad's parents' house, where we ate supper, exchanged gifts, and played poker.

Christmas Eve, I'm working at my church's early evening Christmas service, and then my immediate family and my sister's boyfriend and I are all going to the midnight service at my mom's church.

Christmas, we're leaving for Portland to my Aunt Mary's to see my mom's side of the family in the afternoon and evening.
  11. urban1985_ macrumors regular

Dec 7, 2004
    Burnaby, British Columbia
    Christmas eve: dinner at home with the famly
    Christmas day: Leaving Christmas morn for Whistler, where the family will be spending the weekend :(

NYE:Working from 5-hopefully no later than 11
    NY:Working at 12:15pm ..I'm very mad about that.
  12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Will do services this evening. Then spend the day with my partner of 12 years. This is our anniversary week, we met through friends on News Years Eve.

Planning on spending Christmas Day watching movies with a fire in the fireplace - much better than a fire in the middle of the floor :) ). If I can convince him, we''l go out tonite and tomorrow night to look at the Holiday lights in the area.
  13. aus_dave macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2004
    I'm just about to go to bed, before a big day of festivities at our new house (my family for lunch, wife's family for dinner). We are gluttons for punishment :p.

My nearly-4 year old daughter is so excited this year it has put all the fun back into Christmas for us. I just finished eating the biscuits and drinking the milk she left out for Father Christmas :D.

Seems like only yesterday I wondered how he got all that stuff in his sleigh :).
  14. cluthz macrumors 68040

Jun 15, 2004
    eve: Dinner at my parents
    day: Dinner at my parents
    day 2: Skiing/Snowboarding!!! (Partying after skiing)
    day 3: Possibly skiing/snowboarding..
    .... skiing untill New Years eve..
    New years eve: Partying...
  15. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Jun 3, 2002
    I have from the 20th to the 2nd (?) off. I will be spending a good chunk of the time battling a bad cold. Of course, I get sick every Christmas, along with my cars breaking down. I had 2 birthday parties to go to, for a niece and nephew. Christmas eve will be at the in-laws, Christmas day at home, and my parents home. Sunday will be church, then assembling all the toys. Next week will be just laying around, playing with the kids, working on a couple of webpages, and that's about it.
  16. Cheese macrumors 6502

Dec 26, 2002
    In the refrigerated section at your grocer
    I will be overcome with anxiety as yet again, I watch my wife open presents that will soon be returned, since I ALWAYS get the wrong thing, and always get her something she didn't want. We will have a family meal tonight and will feast at in-laws on the 25th, followed by country trip to 'rents later. Work five days next week. Then it will be a "new years redneck eve" with Southern Culture On The Skids headlining at a local listening room called "The Handlebar", followed by deflating my football shaped head on new years day.

Happy Yule and best new year prosperity to all!
  17. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

Oct 5, 2004
    Haha :D
  18. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Right now, I'm in Raleigh, North Carolina. I'm staying here for a week to celeberate christmas, watch a cousin get babtized, and to see some old friends.
  19. aethier macrumors 6502a

Feb 1, 2003
    Montréal, Canada
    christmas at home with the family in montreal. we are the ones having people over, so i will be staying at home whilst everyone is at my house

20. njmac macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Have her make a list. Really demand a very specific list of items, and you choose which ones. Lists are not just for kids to send to Santa!
  21. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    i think after three part time jobs, a cold,, two colds...he he... the pre-lsat, and a law entrance exam on contract law...and doing all this ten days straight, i will probably change plans and just sleep it all off on the 25th

the only satisfaction i got this season was that i could pack it all in during the most stressful time of year and not die ;)

i love christ but i have to admit, i hate christmas or what has become of the days in and around the 25th of december

plus i learned from seminary school, and from regular secular college, that christ was probably born sometime in the spring :)
  22. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    My wife had to work today, so that she can have New Years Eve off. Always patients that need to be seen.

She was to tried after working today to go anywhere this evening. So we are haivng a nice quiet evening.

Try to follow a litte traditon with our meal. shrimp cocktail, salad, Filet Mignon Steak, olive oil, onions, Portabello Mushrooms, broccoli, cheesy potatoes
  23. EJBasile macrumors 65816

Apr 20, 2004
    Xmas eve- parents
    Xmas day- sisters

12/26/04-1/1/05- Condo on Okemo
  24. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Jun 3, 2002
    Shed the anxiety. My wife used to TELL me when she didn't like a present. Now I just buy what's on the list (suprise honey!), or get a gift certificate. It's much easier that way. :p
  25. stubeeef macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004
    Did the childrens service at church with Grandma tonight, went to her condo and "did" Christmas ( made her a book of her 70th b-day surprise party, made it from iphoto-she LOVED it.) with her and the girls.

Christmas morning-sing "Happy Birthday Jesus" before or after presents, then pack up the minivan-drive 2 hrs to NC mountains, spend the rest of the Day-redoing- Christmas with the in-Laws.

Eat, sleep, rinse, repeat.

PS. Merry Christmas Roger!