How are you transferring files?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Peyton, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

To all the new intel Mac people... how are you transferring your files from your old comp? wire? network? ipod? any problems?

I've never tried to move my entire itunes library, how would/did you do this?
    I plan on upgrading soon. thanks.

2. peterparker macrumors regular

peterparker

Ethernet cable and Personal File Sharing. Fastest.

3. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

I booted up the old computer in target disk mode, and moved everything I wanted over by Firewire. Really fast.

4. After G macrumors 68000

After G

I like starting clean so I don't transfer any of my stuff :D

But Firewire's a good option. I also like ad-hoc wireless for small files.

5. Peyton thread starter macrumors 68000

Peyton

thanks for the suggestions. my main concern is iTunes any thoughts? or am I making this more difficult than it really will be?

6. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Dell--->PB
    I used a friend's iPod to transfer everything across. I didn't really have much stuff at the time.

PB/iMac
    When the family got an iMac I transferred most of my stuff across via a wireless network.

7. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

I got around 1 GB of music, 500 MB pictures, 3 GB movies and 100 MB documents. What would be the best way to transfer this? My current wondåås has 10/100 ethernet, wirelessnetwork and USB 2.0. no firewire. Wouldn't 10/100 be the best?:confused:

8. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

I used Firewire 400 here and booted in target mode. Worked a treat with no complications.

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apple made a guide on how to transfer your music library using your iPod. It might come in handy. :)

10. blaster_boy macrumors 6502

blaster_boy

I just copied over the whole iTunes directory to the new mac via filesharing using my ethernet connection. Started iTunes. No problem. iTunes did need to connect to the iTunes store to authorise my new computer to play purchased music.

If you are no longer using the old mac, once your itunes works on the new mac don't forget to de-authorize it from your itunes list !

A

11. steelfist macrumors 6502a

for me, I installed ultra vnc on my pc. i also have a no-ip account and i installed that program on my pc as well.

if i'm home, i will use safari and type 192.168.1.100:5800, and i will be able t control my computer. handy for me because i don't need to be at my desk all the time. while controling, there's an option to transfer files.

i use Guitar to compress my files to tar and transfer them all in one go. the transfer can transfer one file at a time. it can't batch.

i can also recieve a file the same way.

even when i'm not at a network, and using a wifi in a plaza, i can type my no-ip dynamic address, "somthing"@no-ip.info:5800, and it will take me to the same control as on lan network.

so, i can transfer any file from my pc wherever i am.

and i have an ibook, and a pc by the way.

it saves me the hassle of setting up a network, shared folders, privacy, capatibility, and all that networking annoyances. i can never get networking and transfering files right. :mad:

12. dr_lha macrumors 68000

I bought a massively overpriced $35 dollar firewire cable from Best Buy, used Target disk mode and Migration assistant, and then returned the cable for a full refund the next day. ;)

13. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

Would it be faster to use iPod than 10/100. I have a 512 shuffle, which means I would have to move around 9 times. I could also use a direct 10/100 or 54mbps wirelss? What d'you guys suggest?:confused:

14. t1rider321 macrumors regular

i connected my mini threw the network and i got every file i wanted

15. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

So I won't even have to connect them directly, but just connect both to the network in our house, and the do a little mac magic, and bam!:D Could I?

16. blaster_boy macrumors 6502

blaster_boy

Yes. Just connect them to the network and try it out. Don't forget to enable file sharing.

17. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, the iPod has faster transfer speeds but if you have to keep filling and emptying it, then I think the ethernet cable will be faster (and certainly easier) in the long run. :)

I have a 40GB iPod, so I don't even think twice about using it for file transfers.