How bad it is?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by DeeJay, Mar 30, 2004.

1. DeeJay macrumors newbie

Mar 30, 2004
    i bought an ibook 700mhz one and a half year ago.
    3 months of used i made a mistake (locked the system board by set the network as a startup disk, and it required a password to startup the system that nobody or apple dealers in indonesia knows) which they had to replace with the new board and they did.

everything went great until 2 days ago, my ibook screen acting weird, it suddenly screw up, showing lines in different colors and then its goes dark. i tried to restart but same thing happened again. so i bring it to the place where i bought, and they said it most likely to be the vga card problem.

this is really scare me off, i dont have any warranty left and its just one and half years old. they said if vga card is the problem, they had to replace the whole motherboard/logicboard......again?

They havent call me back about my ibook yet, and im still waiting if its the vga card or else which cause the problem. Does anyone know how bad it is?
  2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    That sounds like the usual logic board failure. It's bad, but Apple will replace it for free. Follow the link posted above.
  3. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Aug 9, 2000
    yep. you should be fine, just get the logic board replaced.
  4. DeeJay thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 30, 2004
    wow thanks alot people. i didnt know what to to without your infomation, with this prove im sure they wont cheat me this time. :)
  5. nargot macrumors regular

Jan 29, 2004
    if they try to screw you over (i'm sure they will try) just point them to the apple ibook g3 logic board replacement page!
  6. crenz macrumors 6502a

Jul 3, 2003
    Shanghai, China
    Thanks for posting the link -- will forward it to a friend who has similar problems with his iBook!
  7. DeeJay thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 30, 2004
    yes, they tried.
    I went to the store in the morning and asked about my ibook, they said its the logic board, and i have to replace with the new one. and it cost about $800. Luckly i print out the apple ibook g3 logic board replacement page and show it to them, suddenly one of the sales representative said they had a customer before who have the same problem. she took my print out and bring it to her supervisor and yes they will replace it.

damn, they almost had me though.

by the way how do i know if they will replace the logicboard with the newest ibook logicboard? what if they replace it wit the same model? is there a serial number or something that i can check with?

and should i keep the ibook?
  8. visor macrumors 6502

May 13, 2003
    in bed
    It will not be the same version of the board. Chances are that the new one has considerably faster graphics. and will turn the fan on more often.