How best to setup a time capsule?

Discussion in 'Mac Peripherals' started by yawa, Aug 13, 2009.

1. macrumors member

Right i have a draytek 2820n wireless router which i will not be replacing.

I intend to buy a 1 or 2TB time capsule but was wondering the best way to set it up.

Would it be best to plug this directly into the router? or run it separately as a separate wireless network?

2. macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

That is a good question. If you purchase a new TC it will have dual band, which surprisingly makes a big difference.

I have an AEBS (located downstairs) and a TC (located in office). My AEBS is set to extend my 5ghz band (since 5ghz doesn't go through walls very well). The result is my house has full bars of 5ghz and 2.4ghz - it's a beautiful thing!

For your application, I'm guessing you might be able to do the reverse. Set your draytek to 5ghz and tell your TC to extend the network.

FYI: the way the DB TC works is it actually shows up as two seperate networks.

3. slu
    macrumors 68000

slu

I have a Airport Extreme Dual Band Base Station and it does not show the 5ghz and 2.4ghz bands as two different networks. I'd imagine Time Capsule works the same since it the same router with an over-priced hard drive built in.

But I agree in that I would use the Time Capsule to extend your current network if possible. But I think you are spending a lot of money to basically get a NAS device. There are many other features in the Time Capsule that it doesn't sound like you will be using. If you really want to go with TC, I'd sell the old router.

4. macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

I found this post from another individual that does a good job of summarizing what I was saying.