How big is OS X?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by geodome, Jul 1, 2006.

1. geodome macrumors member

geodome

According to System Profiler,

Macintosh HD:
    Capacity: 55.57 GB
    Available: 36.37 GB

Approximately 20GB is consumed, but I never installed anything other than Neo Office. Is OS X really so big?

2. joebells macrumors 6502

there's tons of space taken up by different languages and printer drivers. OSX installs alot of programs with it when it installs also. I wiped my girlfriends imac (g5) and reinstalled a pretty much basic osx install unchecking pretty much everything and it was only like 2 gigs or something like that.

3. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

Tons of printer drivers, language support, Garageband loops, iDVD templates, etc. ;)

4. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

There's a heap of preinstalled software - iLife (Garagebend is a big culprit here) iWork and Office test drives. There are also a load of drivers and languages that you can remove if you want (Monolingual or Delocaliser will take care of langages).

If you get rid of what you will never use, you can save a lot of space.

5. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I recently did a fresh install on my MBP using the restore media and the install size was 15GB. So yeah an OS X install is large, but it isn't bloat since you do get a lot of interesting stuff to play with, including 3rd party apps. You could remove languages, fonts, printer drivers etc and save a few GB though.

6. ahuman7341 macrumors regular

I once got 10.3 on a 2 gb drive, but if you have a new computer it should also include iLife (10GB), iWork (2Gb) Standard OS X 10.4 install (4GB) then there is all sorts of apps that Apple throws on there and what ever documents you have.

7. geodome thread starter macrumors member

geodome

Instead of reinstalling OS X, is there a better way to strip unnecessary components? 20GB is very big for an OS. I expect it to be less than 10GB.

8. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

Windows XP = This Big: |||||||||||||
    OS X = This Big: |||||||||||||||||||||||
    Windows Vista = This Big: ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

9. Virtualball macrumors 6502

I was nervous when I bought my MacBook because it said there was only 36 GB left. I instantly went to the System folder and deleted languages and printers and Gragaeband, iDVD, iMovie, etc.

I now have a like 49 GB HD!

10. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

I reduced mine down to like 9GB instead of almost 20GB. :) :) I deleted garage band since it's so easy to reinstall it and I have not the slightest clue how to use it :)

11. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Reinstalling is probably the best way because you make sure to get rid of associated files for the different apps. For example, if you choose to just delete an app, you might find some of that app's support files and get rid of those, but you may miss some. Reinstalling will give you the tidiest installation, but you can definitely do it just by deleting things from your current install. And be sure to use a program like Monolingual to get rid of unneeded languages.

I've got Tiger running on an old iBook with a 10 GB hard drive...I got rid of just about everything I could, including all iLife apps except iTunes, and I've got the install under 3.5 GB.

12. interpolic macrumors newbie

Is there a way to custom install in the Tiger installer? I've done it a couple of times and although I wasn't looking for a custom option, one wasn't obviously available. Or do you have to use localizer etc and manually delete garage band?

13. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

The actual OS takes up only a couple of GB's.

The other crap is drivers, apps and (the biggie) iLife.

14. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

It's under 5 gigs if you don't install any languages or printer drivers. (or iLife)

15. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

OS X + iLife takes about 13GB on my machine
    OS X - Printer drivers, XCode stuff, base stuff, all defaults didn't install extra font languages
    iLife - iLife takes about 7+GB - iDVD and GarageBand take up the most space. GB takes up 2.5GB with all the loops, iDVD takes up about 2.5GB with all of its stuff.

16. joebells macrumors 6502

During the install at a point or two theres a button over to the left that says options or customize or something along those lines you just click it and then check and uncheck the things you want installed. One thing that I wasn't sure about was cpu help files or some option along those lines. I think I ended up installing them but I don't know what they do. What little I found on them online kind of referenced them as help files but I'm not sure.

17. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The 10.4 standard installer is just shy of 5 GB if you install all of the printer drivers and language files.

iLife adds another 7 GB with Garageband loops. iPhoto alone is around 500 MB.

Windows XP comes in just over 2 GB.

18. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

XP do you get:
    A calendar app like iCal?
    A Unix-based terminal?
    Networking utilities for tracert, ping, etc. - in a GUI?
    Integrated applications -e.g. Mail and Address Book and iCal?
    Grapher?
    Digital Color Meter?
    Spotlight?
    Automator?

---Anything like those in Windows?

Some, in some ways, most, no. =P Sorry, but its awesome that iCal comes with OS X, and Calendar is in Win 3.11 - it came with it - , but why do you have to buy a Calendar program for Windows 9x+. -- Sorry. I know I love OS X *hugs iBook*

19. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Uh...where did I say Windows was superior due to its smaller full installation size?

20. iGary Guest

iGary

I usually remove Garage Band, its loops and whatever else I do not need, and if you run Delocalizer (Google it) you will get back about 2GB from not having languages installed that you don't need.

EDIT: Delocalizer does not work with Craptel processors, though, I think.

21. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I honestly just say do a reinstallation and don't install those things in the first place.

Monolingual does.

22. geodome thread starter macrumors member

geodome

I might as well delete everything. LOL.

Thing to delete:
    - iDVD (I don't have a DVD writer, 69.6mb)
    - iWork (I use Neo Office, 1.95GB)
    - MS Office 2004 Test Drive for Mac (30d evaluation, I use Neo Office, 330MB)
    - GarageBand (I am no musician, 100.4MB)
    - iMovie HD (I don't edit movies, 78MB)
    - Comic Life (18.4MB)

Things not sure
    - will uninstalling iDVD affect the DVD player program?
    - what is OmniOutliner (35.9MB)?

The total size of my application folder is 4.8GB. It suggests that OS X itself occupies the remainder 15GB. Trimming the OS is something that I have never done before. What contributes to such a bulky OS?

I really want to keep the system files less than 10GB. 20GB is 1/3 of my HDD.

23. Queso macrumors G4

geodome

Most of the Garageband space is taken up by the instrument libraries. They are stored in the /Library/Application Support/Garageband folder and show as taking 1.35GB on my iMac.

24. drumpat01 macrumors 6502

drumpat01

Uninstalling iDVD will not effect you DVD player. they are not connected.

25. culturek macrumors newbie

You love OS X because of iCal? Wow!