How big is the eMac display problem?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by rjett, Dec 7, 2002.

1. rjett macrumors newbie

Aug 6, 2002
    I was thinking about getting an eMac for christmas, but I've been hearing a lot of problems with the display. Is this a big problem or has it just been overhyped?
  2. dricci macrumors 6502a

Dec 15, 2001
    I think it's been over hyped, but it's a problem for sure. I have one (bought in October) with a flicker problem (not the raster shift or snap-crackle-pop problem) and there's still no official fix... so I just have to live with it until Apple decides to tell their service centers how to fix it.

With the hype around it recently, I'm guessing they've fixed the problems in the last few batches... they have no reason to *want* to ship a defective product, because they have to pay for the parts to fix it, so maybe that's been an incentive for them to fix it faster.
  3. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

Jul 25, 2002
    Prospect, KY
    Here's a scenario:

My University bought 50 eMac's in August, and they haven't had a single problem with any of them.

My roommate bought and eMac in September, and it's been sent to Apple for repairs at least 3 times.

I think it's just a random problem, and according to Apple, nearly all of the problems have been worked out by now. So, you shouldn't have any problems if you purchase one right now.
  4. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    Well my bro bought an eMac last month, and the thing went up in smoke within 24 hours.......

However, I personally believe he was just plain unlucky and it could have happened with any machine, from any manufacturer!!

His eMac has been replaced and this one seems fine, the screen is VERY crisp and bright, with absolutely zero faults...... it's the 700MHz model with 640MB RAM and is very, very zippy in OSX..... all in all he's very happy with it!!
  5. blogo macrumors 6502

Apr 1, 2002
    On my school they buyed 60 new eMacs, i remember one of them made this really high noise and on another one the picture was totally messed up. These eMacs are 5 months old now so Apple should have taken care of these problems on newer models.
  6. Wano macrumors 6502

Oct 23, 2002
    My friend just baught one, and with in the first week his started messing up. But, it was refurbished by smalldog so i am thinking hat it already had the problem and smalldog thought they fixed it.