Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
wow, i really know nothing about wireless.

Basically I'm about to get a Macbook, I want a base station I like the idea of getting the refurb one, just to save some $$. A guy at a store today told me the "new basestation is kind of like the old base station with airport express combined into one...

Is that true?

I'm on the fence on this purchase as well as the above poster...

adamyoshida

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2006
wow, i really know nothing about wireless.

Basically I'm about to get a Macbook, I want a base station I like the idea of getting the refurb one, just to save some $$. A guy at a store today told me the "new basestation is kind of like the old base station with airport express combined into one...

Is that true?

I'm on the fence on this purchase as well as the above poster...

I don't know about the above poster but, if you've just got one computer and you just want to surf the internet wirelessly, any $20 generic wireless-G router will do you just fine. Heck, as other people here pointed out, the odds are that an old Wireless-B router is faster than your net connection.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
I don't know about the above poster but, if you've just got one computer and you just want to surf the internet wirelessly, any $20 generic wireless-G router will do you just fine. Heck, as other people here pointed out, the odds are that an old Wireless-B router is faster than your net connection.

Thanks for the tips,

I actually will have two computers, one desktop that I would like to have "wired" and a Macbook which I would like to be wireless. For the apple products, could I use an airport express? Would that allow me to swap files and have a mini network with my desktop and my MB? The new basestation is not too much more $ than the express with the edu discount. then again, the old airport extreme is also hardly any more $ than the express with the refurb discount...suggestions?

sigh, I'm confused.
oh, and sorry if I hijacked this thread....:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.