how big of a mistake would i be making if i bought the mb pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by direzz, Jan 22, 2006.

  1. direzz macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2006
    #1
    ok if i buy the mb pro right now, what is your input... i cant handle how this macintosh world works.. all these rumors and speculations. it frustrates the hell out of me and certainly makes swithing such a big deal.
    fact is, i want to swith
    i wanted the powerbook so i can handle using photoshop alot. thats one of the major things i will be using for. photoshop is my life and school too lol.
    but anyways.. input please on if i should wait or buy.
     
  2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

    Chaszmyr

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2002
    #2
    Buy the MacBook Pro now, but keep in mind that it may be several months before there is a universal version of Photoshop available. In the mean time, you can run Photoshop with Rosetta but it won't be very fast.
     
  3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

    CanadaRAM

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2004
    Location:
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    #3
    You don't have to make this decision for at least a month...
     
  4. Lazyhound macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2005
    #4
    I thought it was only a 10-15% hit?
     
  5. direzz thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2006
    #5
    what do you mean?
     
  6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

    CanadaRAM

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2004
    Location:
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    #6
    MacWorld is initially reporting a 50% hit below iMac G5 performance.

    I mean Apple is not delivering the machine for at least a month -- practically speaking you can wait until March to make the decision. This may allow you time to collect some additional information about the machine.
     
  7. MacsomJRR macrumors 6502a

    MacsomJRR

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2003
    Location:
    San Diego
    #7
    Is the universal version of PS going to sell for full price?
     
  8. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

    OldCorpse

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2005
    Location:
    compost heap
    #8
    How big a mistake? You'd be making a horrendous mistake - absolutely devastating. Catastrophic. Fatal. Here's why: you cannot run Photoshop under Rosetta in the new MBP for anything but the most basic tasks - even Steve specifically warned about that during MWSF. You must wait for Adobe to get it to run natively on the new intel macs. That's many, many months away - somewhere toward the end of the year at the earliest. So, if photoshop is your life then MBP right now is ABSOLUTELY not for you. Secondarily, personally, I'd be wary of a Rev A. on a product undergoing such a big change as Apple is doing now. Bottom line, huge, huge, HUGE mistake for you to get the MBP now, if photoshop is your life, period. No question about it.
     
  9. ITASOR macrumors 601

    ITASOR

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2005
    Location:
    Oneida, NY
    #9
    Probably not. Other software like Final Cut and Aperture are having $50 disks you can buy to upgrade to the universal version. I expect Adobe to do something similar.
     
  10. direzz thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2006
    #10

    hm thanks that means alot. do you think by the time adobe comes out with photoshop that runs native there will be a revision to the mac book pro?
     
  11. MacsomJRR macrumors 6502a

    MacsomJRR

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2003
    Location:
    San Diego
    #11
    Steve did not freak out as you say he did about Photoshop performance guy. He even showed PS under Rosetta working just fine so I have no idea what you mean by "warned about that during MWSF". Sure it didn't blow anyone away performance wise but lets not exaggerate.

    Please provide evidence of mac products that sucked it up during there "rev A" initially release.
     
  12. jrk07 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2005
    #12
    My advice would be to wait for a revision to the MBP if you already have a laptop that can run photoshop. On the other hand, if you do not yet have a laptop to run Photoshop now, then I would say just go and get it when you have the money. The key is to be aware that it will not perform too good, and to not let that get you wishing you had not made the switch. I got a Rev A iMac when I switched last year and I have never had any regrets.
     
  13. ieani macrumors 6502a

    ieani

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2006
    Location:
    the states for now
    #13
    Is the software that is bundled with IMacs and Macbook Pros mostly running on rosetta? Or is the rosetta software the software you would buy seperately?
     
  14. direzz thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2006
    #14

    how soon will they make a revision? if its in a year im fine witht that but six months is not good for me.
     
  15. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

    Texas04

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2005
    Location:
    Texas
    #15
    If you need it now get it now. If you are going to be doing heavy Photoshop tasks then I would suggest waiting for the universal binary for the Intel platform to come out. Then buy. I NEED a new computer, im running on a 500MHZ~ PC and have just been borrowing whatever mac however old i have been able to use. So as soon as i get reviews on the MBP (and they are good) I will be buying, but I dont need Photoshop, just FCE and I can use iMovie till FCE for intel comes out.
     
  16. MacsomJRR macrumors 6502a

    MacsomJRR

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2003
    Location:
    San Diego
    #16
    Noone knows when they will update them for sure. Probably the 12" and 17" Powerbooks will be updated before the 15" or maybe all at the same time sometime after the summer.
     
  17. ieani macrumors 6502a

    ieani

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2006
    Location:
    the states for now
    #17
    If the complete line-up wont be updated until end of year. I would imagine there wont be any 15 inch Rev B until a year from now. Or am I thinking to fairly?
     
  18. MacsomJRR macrumors 6502a

    MacsomJRR

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2003
    Location:
    San Diego
    #18
    It's all one big craps shoot. I think it's fair to say that we won't see a 15" revision before August but that's about it.
     
  19. kyeblue macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2003
    Location:
    Long Island, New York
    #19
    You should wait for the universal update of photoshop available, and I won't be surprised if macbook pro will receive an upgrade by then.
     
  20. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

    OldCorpse

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2005
    Location:
    compost heap
    #20
    Sorry, you are simply wrong. Go listen to the MWSF:

    http://macworld.apple.com.edgesuite.net/mw/index.html

    Go to the time 1:17:44 and here is exactly what Steve says: "[...]and while the performance of Photoshop is *not* going to be strong enough under Rosetta for a professional that spends hours a day on Photoshop, it's going to be great for most of us who use Photoshop occasionally[...]".

    So, since the guy who is asking says that he's going to be "using Photoshop a lot" and that "Photoshop is my life" - that's DEFINITELY not one of those that Steve says will be OK when they use it OCCASIONALLY - but rather one of those who "spends hours a day on Photoshop" - so it is NOT GOING TO BE STRONG ENOUGH UNDER ROSETTA.

    You got it there, all in quotes, case closed. So big guy, you gonna now appologize, now that I not only dug up the exact time Steve said this, the link, AND I transcribed it, AND it matches perfectly the case here? Word for word - what the OP said, and how what Steve said matches ***EXACTLY*** what the situation is for OP - NOT GOOD ENOUGH! Next time, please don't accuse me or anyone of exaggerating or making things up, unless YOU have PROOF - the burden is on you to prove your accusation, not on me to prove my innocence, since it is YOU who made the accusation. Not cool.

    Same goes for your Rev A nonsense. Anyone who has followed Apple at all is well aware of Apple's rich history with Rev A problems (not every Rev A, but plenty of them!)... apparently that does not include you.

    And please, next time don't accuse posters here of anything like you did. Because I just proved you wrong. Be careful next time.

    That's hard to be 100% certain of, but here's what I think. I believe that MBP will have another revision this year - I think that 2 revisions a year is kind of a minimum. So that's a safe assumption. Next, from what the head of Adobe said, it sounds like Adobe won't transition until toward the end of the years. That tells me, that if the MBP doesn't have a revision before Adobe comes out, it'll have one very soon after. Bottom line: YES, it is safe to say, though not 100%, that MBP will have a revision before Adobe comes out with a native version. All IMHO.

    So, again, it would be IMHO, a HUGE, honking gigantic, vicious mistake to get the MBP right now.
     
  21. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

    OldCorpse

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2005
    Location:
    compost heap
    #21
    I would tend to disagree a bit about this :)... seems to me, the 17 and 12 will be updated fairly soon (maybe by June dev. conf). And now that Apple is with Intel rather than the slow as molasses Freescale and IBM, it stands to reason that we'll have much more frequent updates and refreshes. That's what happens in the PC word. Apple doesn't have to do as much engineering of the motherboard. So, they can keep up with the quick PC world updates a lot better than before. You imagine that they'll go practically a whole year (MBP are to come out in February) without updating the MBP, not even to fix inevitable Rev A bugs? I'd say, not likely at all. Personally, I think it's almost a 100% that you'll see a rev B on the 15" MBP this year. All IMHO, of course.
     
  22. mduser63 macrumors 68040

    mduser63

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2004
    Location:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    #22
    All of the Apple software included is universal so it runs natively on Intel. That includes the OS, Safari, QuickTime, iLife, Mail, etc. They may still be including some third-party bundled applications that run under rosetta.
     
  23. inxxcasinoxxout macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2005
    #23
    So what happened about the whole "Adobe will have universal binaries by March or April" thing? Or was that just for OSX pro apps?

    EDIT: Rumors have it that Adobe will not update existing Photoshops to Universal binaries, so in other words, you have to wait for them to come out with a new version.
     
  24. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

    robbieduncan

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2002
    Location:
    London
    #24
    No one ever said that. Steve said that Apple's Pro apps (i.e. Logic, Final Cut Pro etc) would be Universal by March. He then said that some people would take longer and demoed PhotoShop under Rosetta.
     
  25. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

    redAPPLE

    Joined:
    May 7, 2002
    Location:
    2 Much Infinite Loops
    #25
    Apple isn't saying it, but read between the lines and it says, "The MacBook Pro is in reality an iBook PRO...".

    it is 4-5x faster than the powerbook g4 (as long as you don't use pro apps).

    what's that all about Apple?
     

Share This Page