How big should the consumer/professional gap be?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ac2102, Sep 26, 2003.

1. ac2102 macrumors member

May 12, 2003
    Bristol - England
    I mentioned this in a thread i started earlier on a different topic, but felt that it merited its own space.

I was enquiring at first as to what features an updated iBook should have in order to distance it from the powerbooks.

There is now a more clear definition on the desktop front with the introduction of the G5. However, we now have the iMac, eMac and some remaining Powermacs; surely not all of these are considered to be withing an average users grasp? Up until very recently a high end g4 was most definitely proffessional grade system.

I understand that in any particular line of products there are limitations, but surely holding back features purely on the basis of distancing high end models from consumer models is not the way to go. Any model needs to have all the options available to it in order to attract customers.

This topic has been much on my mind of late, mainly as i cannot decide which band i fall into! I shall no doubt see in the coming months.
  2. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

Jan 20, 2003
    New York
    here's what i see...

i think that they should release an eBook of sorts. the eMac is consumer. they beef up the iBooks a bit more, then they release an eBook for the consumer.
    here's where i would like to see apple in a while

iBook/iMac- Pro-sumer
    Powerbook/Powermac- Professional.
  3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    i think except for maybe the 17in powerbook, the 15 and 12 are more prosumer laptops
  4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    What does the 17" have that the 15" doesn't?

I think apple should stop worrying about distinguishing the lines so much and should try to improve everything as much as possible. Don't worry about your own products eating each others' sales, worry about PCs eating Apple sales.
  5. whooleytoo macrumors 603

Aug 2, 2002
    Cork, Ireland.
    Re: How big should the consumer/professional gap be?

I agree! There are problems with the way Apple has its current lineup. If (say) you want a machine for gaming, you probably want an upgradable video card, which means a Power Mac. But Power Macs aren't anything like price-competitive with gaming PC's.

I love the iMac form factor, but need a fast machine? Tough, I have to buy a (far more expensive here) Power Mac.

I've always thought there should be high and low end consumer machines, and high and low end pro machines, so the fastest iMac would be faster then the low-end Power Mac. If you need speed but not expandability, go with the iMac. If expandability is crucial, go with the Power Mac. It's far more flexible, IMO.

6. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

Aug 5, 2003
    USA, New York
    I believe it's getting harder and harder to split the line between Consumer and Professional. Consumers are becoming alot more educated and demanding(whether they need the power or not) and the Professional is limited to the choices they have. There are no major gaps anymore with speeds. The only differences now adays are the extra's like HD space/speeds, specialized software that's way out of reach, financially and learning wise for the consumers. I'm sure there's more but can't think of it off the top of my head. Now, a G5 dual 2gHz and let's say a G6 dual 4gHz is a big gap. That could be the kinda separation in performance that will distant the consumer and professional, BUT the current line up seems to color an area of gray for Consumer and Professional. [IMO]

7. Ajmbc macrumors regular

Jan 29, 2003
    I can see it now- E is average consumer, I is Prosumer and Power is professional.

8. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

Jan 20, 2003
    New York
  9. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

Mar 27, 2003
    I think it should be:

Stylish, but not too expandable:

-Single Processor Powermac G5's running at same clock speeds as Professional

-Dual Processor Powermac G5's running at same clock speeds as Prosumer

This way, prosumers could get expandable Powermacs at a lower price, or still get iMacs if they don't need the expandability.