How Bush Makes Sure They Agree

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, May 20, 2005.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-bush20may20,1,252133.story

2. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

This doesn't seem like (F-word omitted for fear of inciting flamewar over context) Propoganda to you? It certainly seems like exactly the techniques used by agressive and duplicitous political forces to manipulate public sentiment in such a manner that they may support policies that would otherwise be anathema, perhaps even extremely dammaging.

Circumspect enough IJ? ;) :D :rolleyes:

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

More bullcrap from the office of Karl Rove.

When they were trying to debunk global warming, they got twenty scientists to stand behind them and say that global warming is not so. And within a day or two, the Democrats got four hundred prominent scientists to say that it is.

Sure, Bush can find some poor saps who believe in his bull-puckey. And I hope the Dems will respond as they did with Bush's global warming propaganda.

4. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Propaganda it is for certain. But if you look at the definition of that word, it covers all manner of disseminating information for the purpose of political persuasion, so perhaps that should have us looking for another word to describe this particular brand of malarky. But here's the real kicker IMO: As propaganda, it's not working. The American people by in large are not persuaded, which leaves the president looking isolated and detached, living in an echo chamber of his (or Karl Rove's) construction. I think the way they're handling Social Security is a microcosm of the entire administration.

5. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

It would be nice for this issue to mark the beginning of the end for this group but I'm as yet unconvinced. This administration has had little or no success with their "fiscal conservatism" but has had frightening success with their use of moral conservatism and theonomic rhetoric. Until I see the structures of the extreme Christian Right failing in their agressive bid for power I'll remain alarmed. Note: I'm not panicked.... I'm alarmed. ;)

6. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You sent me scurrying for my dictionary with that one. Nice vocabulary exercise.

Qualification noted. My state of mind is about the same -- alarmed but not panicked. I'd like to think it's always a good practice to remained alarmed. The alternative is being somnambulant.

7. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Touche.

Somnambulant:

Perhaps you should review my list of interesting terms in the F-word thread.... ;)

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

9. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

:p :p :p ;) :rolleyes: :D :eek:

*Flings pie at Zim for obvious linguistofascism*

10. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

What am I missing here?

Sorry, I must be a bit dense today. Or maybe just somnambulant.

11. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Note the editing tags on my post just prior that remark.

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Quite right. The Right does not have a monopoly on Propaganda.

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Shurely shome mishtake? - Ed. Sweden doesn't have a North Sea coast. I think you're thinking of Norway.
    :rolleyes:

14. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Does anyone think of Norway?

Even Norwegians?

15. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

IJ, you're in trouble now! We have a large Norwegian contingent in these forums - just look at the latest iTMS thread. Not only that but my late Norwegian grandmother is rolling over in her grave a muttering "tut-tut" interspersed with "uff da's" for your obvious slights to her native land.

16. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    the bush administration has misfired on one huge factor-- no amount of "propaganda" will sway a majority of the american people to shoulder any additional uncertainty regarding their retirement funds. its just not gonna happen. the fear of investing funds now and dealing with the hazards of return rates is much greater than the fear of SS's future demise.

give the people access to a private account with a risk-free return of, say 5%, and they'd line up like geeks at a star wars premiere.

it gives me no small amount of glee to see the bushies so furiously spinning their wheels and squandering whatever "mandate and capital" they had on an impossible proposition.

17. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Uh-oh. I'll have to keep a lookout for those large Norwegians!

18. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Just digging yourself in deeper! :p

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It's OK, they're nailed to their perches....

20. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

No dead parrot jokes allowed! Be warned, skunk, you are on the slippery slope to endless references to the "Spanish Inquisition" and the "comfy chair." :eek:

edited for the python impaired.

21. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

22. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Remind me again why preaching to the converted is going to help anybody. Wouldn't it be better to talk to people who have some concerns about the plan (or lack thereof). I'm not suggesting they load the place full of Liberals or anything, but seeing everybody thank Bush while he says a lot of stupid things that don't make sense is only going to work for so long. It's easy to convince people of something they may be somewhat already inclined toward, but SS is another matter entirely. People aren't THAT stupid, and older people (the demographic that votes in droves) are the majority of people who are against this.

Funny to see the pendulum swing back the other direction, though this time he kinda has to do this since not a lot of non-stockbrokers think this is a good idea.