How can Apple even begin to justify their RAM prices?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by AlBDamned, Sep 27, 2005.

1. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Just been looking at another thread and saw that 2GB of Powerbook RAM on a built to order machine would cost a massive £579.99!

How can Apple seriously get away with charging that? It's about 300% what you can actually buy it for. Even Samsung RAM isn't anything like that expensive.

Madness.

2. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

they justify it by hoping people don't shop around.

3. paperinacup macrumors 6502

Sad thing is that I know people that actually have paid that price for their RAM!!! Because as they say "it's better since its Apple"

4. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

its a joke isn't it...I got the same ram for 1/5 the price..all you have to do is shop around

5. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

It just doesn't make sense at all. If you were spending £1500 on a powerbook, why would you spend 1/3 of that again on RAM.

I doubt too many people do actually max out a PB on order but I think more would if it was a reasonable price. An extra 512MB is £100 and that's 60% more than you can buy it from crucial.

6. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Well, that's more the answer to the questin "how do they get away with it"?

But, while it is overpriced, in any business there are people willing to pay for the convenience of having everything packaged together or available at one-stop shopping. Probably particularly true with many mac purchasers. Indeed, if your upgrade is say from 512MB to 1GB, you might figure the extra $40 or so it costs from apple is worth it just to have them install it.

Obviously for an educated consumer who can install RAM themselves, it's not worth it. But Apple isn't trying to make money on volume, and never has.

7. maddav macrumors 6502

maddav

Actually I was just thinking the same thing, I saw that for a 12" PB the 1.25GB RAM (1GB stick) costs £260 to add in.

At Crucial it costs £130. So I'm just going for the stock 512MB RAM, and am going to buy a Crucial 1GB stick, saving me £130 on RAM alone :D

8. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

i spent 300 on 2 512 sticks of ram for my iMac G5 but sometime like to a begin computre user ram all ready installed it nice/

i would have gotten 2gb for the price apple sold me 1gb o well!

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I've never understood it either. I wonder how many people actually buy RAM from Apple?

10. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

I got a gig of ram for my PB for $220 CAN shipped last Dec. and now it's still $550+ from apple (plus difference of the added 256 standard). Rip off, rip off, rip off

**EDIT**
    $550 to upgrade from 512 to 1.25

11. paperinacup macrumors 6502

You'd be surprised. I had to stop my grandfather from buying 2GB from them. :eek:

12. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

You are a good grandson.

13. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Apple seems to be the last hold out for expensive RAM.

Our IT department added a 1GB RAM stick from IBM to my Thinkpad about 9 months ago. It cost $365. I still don't understand why they spent so much. But prices there have gond down and it now costs $255 for 1GB RAM from the IBM website but $155 from Crucial.

14. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

My only wish is that you could order a computer with no ram and save the cash of the sale :), now that would be nice

15. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

at least your grandpa is smart enough to use a Mac. I don't know many who use computers period, let alone the blessed mac ;)

16. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Exactly how my father and I felt when purchasing my iMac... why fuss when it can come configured as I'd like?
    Underline emphasis is mine because I take offense to that statement... I feel that I was 'educated' in my purchase, so why did I bother to pay the extra cost? Because 1) I didn't have to deal w/ ordering the RAM from elsewhere, deal w/ installing it, deal w/ it in case it was not compatible, but most importantly, 3)it would be covered by Apple's AppleCare so that if issues ever arose, I only need to service my computer at one place... Why does that make me uneducated?

:edit: I did upgrade the RAM on my PB myself... so it's not because I am 100% incapable of doing anything to a computer that I shelled out extra $$$ for Apple RAM on my iMAc, especially because I also have friends/family willing to help out if need be.

17. paperinacup macrumors 6502

What he needs with 2GB of ram I will never know. :confused:

18. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

Grandpa is either doing some harcore FCP ... or WoW

19. roadapple macrumors regular

don't forget Tiger and iLife (have retails of them both from upgrading my current system) to knock a nice $250 off a $500 mini.