How can apple get away with making such faulty products?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Hibbity, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Hibbity macrumors member

I'll start off by saying: maybe this is a special case, maybe its just my ipod, but it really doesn't appear to be the case, and if not this is ridiculously horrible craftsmanship! completely unacceptable for such an expensive product.

so i upgrade my ipod to 1.2. 5th gen, 60 gig. $400!

now, scrolling through music is so sub par, so laggy that it's unbearable. i have to pause the music to scroll; simply playing music and scrolling through artists is beyond the capacity of my $400 ipod? weak!

Then, i buy tetris. I remember when I was a kid, i was crazy about tetris, managed to get to level 20 once...no lag whatsoever. Nintendos are reahing the 20 year mark, and they were capable of playing tetris perfectly. Can my one-month-old ipod compare to this? sadly, not even close. tetris is literally unplayable. the game lags so bad that pieces will go from the top of the column to the bottom instantly, without the ability to move them. AT ALL! once again, weak!

And the real kicker, the sub-microsoft product qulality delivered by Apple: the syncing of the ipod with itunes. When i connect to my mac, it automatically updates. Then it appears to still be connected, as ths info page stays up. I'd like to enable disk use, so I checked the box for it and hit "apply." The ipod is connected, still. itunes says "looking for ipod" and is unable to detect the ipod at all, and says that as such it cannot save my changes (i.e. enabling disk use)! Like I even have to say it by this point...

Maybe this is unfair, maybe i just have a faulty ipod...are other people experiencing this? I've been using OS X for about a year, i had a 3G ipod before this new one for 3 years, and overall it's been a great change from the M$ world... now and it's great, but such fundamental flaws have really got me wondering if its more productive anymore, or just more stylish, to use a mac. Apple needs to fix these unbelievably fundamental flaws if they want their procucts to continue to be considered high-end. I'm very disappointed at this point, and find myself missing my old ipod and old itunes that just worked.

2. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

Applecare? Or return it? There always will be defects in products regardless of manufacturer. Apple may be better or worse than others, but to say that there's "ridiculously horrible craftsmanship" based on your one experience with an ipod doesn't make sense. My ipod was perfect, and my friends have ipods that never have problems. Apple seems to have a very low failure on their ipods compared to their computers, so if you are having problems, you are a minority - and instead of wondering how Apple "got away" with giving you a lemon, go and send the ipod back for a new one.

3. AppleGuy08 macrumors 6502

AppleGuy08

It'd be nice if you could give us some more information....like... what happened to the damn thing.

4. Hibbity thread starter macrumors member

ok the whole post is up now...sorry, i accidentally posted before i'd even gotten started.

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Was it working OK before you updated to 1.2?

Have you tried re-setting the iPod?

6. AppleGuy08 macrumors 6502

AppleGuy08

k cool, hope i didnt sound like a dick, now i will read your new post :)

Edit: I read it. It sounds like your ipod can use a good restoration. Meaning, go to ipod updater and completly restore your ipod again. My nano was super laggy once. I only have about 800 songs on it (4GB Model), so i restored it, and it was perfect again. Last friday i bought a 30GB video and it worked perfectly fine, but on tuesday i took it back to Target when i heard about the new ipods. So i ordered myself a nice 80 gig video wednesday.

But yah, try restoring it.

7. AJ's Apple macrumors newbie

Considering the degree of intricacy and technology that is involved in producing such a device, and the fact that any item produced inherently has issues, design flaws and engineering blunders, it shouldn't surprise you that there will be problems here and there, even from Apple. If the research, development, quality control and post inspections went into your iPod to the degree we all would like, only a few of us would be able to afford Apple's products. Keep in touch with Apple- they need to be aware of the problems out here that they could not produce before release.

This is why there is a warranty, and the option of AppleCare. If the problem is persistent, you'll see a recall. I for one would still choose an Apple product over the compitition. If I thought I could design something better, I would- presumably, we all are here in the forums because none of us has as of yet.

8. Hibbity thread starter macrumors member

a tetris game that is unplayably-laggy, scrolling that is only bearable when the music is paused, and the inability to change preferences on the ipod...these are not just problems, they're deal-breakers. I've never seen such a sub-par showing for such a high-end product, ever.

I restored right when i installed 1.2, but i'll try it again when i get home from work. maybe that'll do something.

again, is anyone else experiencing any of these three problems?

9. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I've never had any problems like that with mine. It's a little laggy at times when I'm scrolling through my 3,000+ pictures, but I think that's understandable. ;)

It sounds to me like you just got a bad iPod. Those problems would bug me to no end, and it shouldn't happen. I say take it back to the store and exchange it.

Good luck!

10. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

My iPod works fine with the latest update and scrolling though artists.

Haven't bought a game yet though.