Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oxband

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
I switched to Lion and still feel like i dont understand the Finder. It's annoying.

The one thing i really want to do is simply enter a term in the search box and have only appear files whose names contain what i've written. How can i change Finder so it does that?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I switched to Lion and still feel like i dont understand the Finder. It's annoying.

The one thing i really want to do is simply enter a term in the search box and have only appear files whose names contain what i've written. How can i change Finder so it does that?
Click this:
ScreenCap 2012-05-07 at Mon, May 7,2.01.46 AM .PNG

oxband

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
i dont have the contents/file name option in my window. i looked in preferences and didnt see how i can add it. how can i?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
i dont have the contents/file name option in my window. i looked in preferences and didnt see how i can add it. how can i?
I'm surprised it's not there, but you can add that criteria another way:
ScreenCap 2012-05-07 at Mon, May 7,2.12.55 AM .PNG

oxband

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
I can add it to a search but I want it there so i dont need to keep adding it every time. That is odd that you have it and i dont. it must be some preference click away!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I can add it to a search but I want it there so i dont need to keep adding it every time. That is odd that you have it and i dont. it must be some preference click away!
I'm on Snow Leopard. I hadn't noticed that they removed that in Lion.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Just use the free app iFileX. It will find what you want and is much easier to use than Finder.

2zJhG.png

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Easier way: as you type the search into the Finder search bar, a small dropdown menu will appear offering to search "Filenames include ...". Just hit the down arrow to select it and you'll only get filename results.

Screen%20Shot%202012-05-07%20at%201.21.27%20PM.PNG

Edit: Sorry for the weird look, it has a shadow on that dropdown in the Finder, so it's not so indistinct. For some reason the screenshot lost that.

jW

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Easier way: as you type the search into the Finder search bar, a small dropdown menu will appear offering to search "Filenames include ...". Just hit the down arrow to select it and you'll only get filename results.
Thanks for that! I couldn't imagine them removing that capability. Just when you learn your way around software, the developer changes something! Sometimes, it's better to just leave it the way it was!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.