How can I access my digital camera through the finder?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by C-Mezak, Jul 25, 2004.

1. C-Mezak macrumors regular

C-Mezak

Hey everybody!

I have a Canon Powershot G3 and I lost the CD-rom of apps that came with it before I switched to mac. I take photos in RAW format that iPhoto doesn't like. But I cant seem to acess the camera in any other way than through iPhoto's importing feature. There must be a way to view the camera's card as a volume in the finder, but what is it? When I have some money I'll do the obvious thing and just buy a card reader, but for now I'd like to be able to get those photos!

Thanks for the help!

Charlie

[EDIT] Nevermind. I just discovered the Image Capture utility. My eyes are opened! Don't think me stupid, everybody. I'm jut a recent switcher. :rolleyes:

2. Gee macrumors 65816

Was just about to write 'Try imge capture' but I see you've discovered it.

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Many cameras also has an option where you can choose whether it should act as a Digital Camera og Disk Drive when hooked up to a computer. When in Disk Drive mode it appears as another USB disk on the Desktop when connected (just remember to Eject it before disconnecting). On my really cheap HP camera i have this option under Setup -> USB Configuration.

4. winwintoo macrumors 6502

So if I buy one of those $50 digital cameras that only has on-board memory and no Mac software, will Image Capture grab the images??

I'm going to be taking a trip and taking my laptop but would rather not take my expensive camera just to send back pics of the kid standing on the steps of various monuments.

Thanks, m

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Woah! I didn't bring load my Canon software onto my PB when I left for Australia, and I couldn't get the koala video's I had taken off my Canon A60. Now I can!! I guess you always learn something new. I've never gone through some of the Apps before, and Image Capture was one of them. I always thought it was for scanners or something, so I skipped it.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If your camera supports the USB automount standard, it does not need Mac software. Image Capture will just work. iPhoto will just work. The Finder will just work. Other applications, such as GraphicConverter, also support the feature. This means that you have options if you don't like iPhoto. I have owned my Olympus E-20N for more than a year now. About a month ago, I installed the Camedia software. However, I don't use the software any more now than I did before I installed it.