How can I beat Apple Tech Support???

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by kenyabob, Jan 7, 2004.

1. kenyabob macrumors regular

My new G5 is running slowly, it hangs up frequently and things crash practically more than on my windows machine. Its not just in my head, most times when I wake the computer from its sleep the computer tries once to get back to the desktop, which it fails at, it GOES BACK TO SLEEP, and I wake it up a second time - at which point it freezes on the login window or gets me back into OS X. Apple wants me to go two or three days without peripherals attached and start limiting what third party software I am using in order to figure out what it is. So I have to go on a usage diet! I just want to bring this thing into a store and have someone confirm that this isnt up to snuff! Any ideas???

2. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Re: How can I beat Apple Tech Support???

Do you want me to hold your hand:(, JUST TAKE IT IN YOU WEAK MINDED FOOL. (sorry about that:p)

Nothing gets the ball rolling faster than a personal appereance.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yup, turn up on their door step with your faulty mac and a glum look on your face...oh, and if the sales men are useless...that's what there's a manager for ;)

4. kenyabob thread starter macrumors regular

Do I bring it to an Apple Store? Or can I bring it to CompUSA or a certified technician?

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Apple store preferred. I doubt CompUSA or anyplace would service it unless you bought it there. I may be wrong on that tho...

paul

6. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

To an apple store. As edesignuk pointed out the sales people know little to nothing about computers, so the manager is always the best bet.

I have managed to have over $600 of faulty hadware, and semi faulty hardware replaced free of charge. (that accounts for every Item I have every returned)

And in reference to your title "How can I beat Apple Tech Support???" My official respones would be; WITH A STICK!:D.

7. Calliander macrumors member

Re: How can I beat Apple Tech Support???

I don't know what they told you when you spoke to them, but here are a few things I would suggest.

1) If you are using an ADC Cinema Display, try using the machine without it and instead using a DVI-capable monitor (or a VGA monitor with the DVI-to-VGA adapter that came with your G5). Many times, problems with the power button on the Cinema Displays can cause the computer to go to sleep or do other wacky things.

2) See if the errors occur with other users on the computer. If you are the only user, create a new account and see if the errors still persist. If they don't, it's probably a software issue that your local Apple Store or Service Provider could fix in a half hour to an hour.

3) There might be an internal problem. If the issue persists with another user, and it isn't an OS X issue, you might have a hardware problem.

No matter what, you'll probably end up taking something in for repair. Hope that helps. :)

8. kenyabob thread starter macrumors regular

thanks guys, this is enough to work with for now-- they all seem like solid ideas!

9. Calliander macrumors member

Let us know what happened! :)

10. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

thwack!!

yeah, let us know.

Maybe you could post the specifications of your stick:p

11. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Yeah good luck;)

My stick: I find a 36" or 37" field hockey stick works well, esp with the hooked end.

However about my other stick; well lets just say that's my business:p.

12. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

As other have said, bring it in if you have a store near you. If you don't, call, call, and call Apple's tech support again. If you call enough times, you'll get what you want.

13. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Have you added any RAM? We had some bad RAM in our G5 at work and it was causing all sorts of seemingly unrealted problems.

Persistence is key as well. But always remember to be nice and not to lay into/insult the employees. They deal with pissy people all day and will, most likely, bend over backwards for a customer who treats them like a human being.

Lethal