How can I block websites from iPhone's Safari?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by markw10, Aug 9, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502

I am getting an iPhone for my son. Because of his disabilities he has trouble with directions so I'm interested in the new iPhone since it has GPS built in and will help him with that. The only downside is when unsupervised on the internet he gets to some websites he shouldn't and has gotten into trouble. It's just a few websites such as myspace that I want to specifically block.
    Is there a way that certain websites can be blocked on an iPhone? I have heard on a desktop it can be done with things such as a firewall but since the iPhone isn't an actual computer I didn't know if there's a way of doing that.

2. macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

There is parental control settings on the iPhone but as far as safari, it only blocks it from being able to get online. Theres no way that i know of to block particular sites.

3. macrumors 68000

If you're on wifi at home you may be able to block the sites on your router - though I realise that only works for his home use of it.

4. macrumors member

I'm guessing your son is in High School. 16 years old? I'm sure he see's or hears all kinds things at school walking down the hall. Or he will sooner or later.. All it takes is a little motivation and google searching to get around most web site blockers.

5. macrumors 68030

skubish

I say disable Safari all together. Alot of info from the web can be acquired thru apps.

6. macrumors regular

The GPS on the iPhone is pretty inaccurate and useless apparently...I wouldn't rely on it.

7. macrumors 68000

apparently being the key word there
    GPS on the iphone is just as reliable and accurate as on any other mobile phone, if not more so

8. macrumors newbie

there isnt turn by turn directions on the iphone yet. For someone with disabilities figuring out the directions wont be that easy. Just buy your son a real turn by turn gps. You wont have to worry about him on myspace and you can further police his actions.

9. macrumors regular

not what the op asked

10. macrumors newbie

Hi! I'm 23 F. Idk if this is still needed but I came across this thread... It's a few years late but I thought maybe some parent could use the info I have. Maybe you have other children too. I have an iPhone 4. There's an app in the app store for iPhones called "k9 web protection browser" it does give options to block offensive material: violence sexual etc. I registered for this forum just to answer this question. I hope it helps someone.

-Chalita

11. macrumors regular

why don't you just buy him a gps, that would be a lot cheaper.

12. macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Thank you. Better late than never.

13. macrumors newbie

thanks for the share! checking this app out now :)

14. macrumors newbie

Thanks Chalita

I did a search today 2-17-13 and found that ThisIsHero (Chalita) your answer helped a lot in my personal case, and I appreciate you taking the time to post it.

God Bless!:)

15. macrumors newbie

With IOS 7 go to settings, general, restrictions, put your password, go to websites, click limited restrictions, add website, type website and it's restricted.

16. macrumors regular

scrmtrey

You can also block URL and domain on router itself. So it is globally for everyone or user mac address or either IP.

17. macrumors P6

MacDawg

Thread resurrected 3 times... awesome

18. macrumors 65816

Yeah, the kid in the original thread has probably graduated by now!!

Though if anybody is currently dealing with this issue, I'd recommend a map called Mobicp. You can delete Safari and install an app that lets you set appropriate content by age group (elementary, middle, high school) and sends you a monthly update of the sites visited.

Not perfect by any means, but it helps. And as somebody wrote, kids are going to have access to things through their friends phones, unlocked home browsers etc. When I was a kid, a dad's unlocked Playboy stash was the holy grail. Now it's pretty much impossible to expect your kid isn't seeing hardcore stuff by middle school.

19. macrumors 601

The Doctor11

Did any one else think we were talking about somthing completly diffrent until the word "MySpace"?