How can i change a Hard Drive in a Imac g5 ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacPowa, Jul 29, 2006.

1. MacPowa macrumors newbie

I will probably buy a iMac g5 duo core (not new), but the poblem is that the hard drive is only 160 gb ... I want to put a bigger hard drive in it because i want to install boot camp (os x + windows) on it and have space to work on both (os x and windows).

I have an external hard drive too (160 gb) Is there a way that i can use it to install boot camp on it and run it from the external hard drive ?

Thx for your help.

2. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

Try the "Windows on Mac" section for your boot camp related questions next time.

I've seen others ask the same question and as far as I recall it's not possible. Boot camp has to be installed on the master drive.

3. reh macrumors 6502a

First things first... If it's an iMac G5, you can NOT install Bootcamp. If it's an iMac Core Duo, you can. Those are two different models.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

If it's an iMac G5 you can't install Boot Camp at all, internal or external.

You need an Intel/Core Duo Mac.

B

5. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

6. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

I find that many people refer to the style of the current iMacs as G5 iMac. Since the original poster refered to "duo core" (aka core duo), we should know what he is talking about.

On both the last G5 iMac (iSight) and the Intel iMac, the hard drive is not user accessible, at least not according to Apple. To get to it, you have to remove the front panel, the EMI shielding, gobs of foil tape, and the LCD panel itself. Once you have gotten this far, the hard drive is fairly easy to replace using your handy dandy Torx set.

7. donnist macrumors newbie

Replace HD 3rd Generation 20" iMac

You can easily replace the hard drive with the third generation HD. A lot of the videos and instructions found online does not cover the third gen imac.

1st.
    follow the instructions as far as opening the front panel and removing the foil and black plastic.

(this is what's not covered.)
    2nd.
    remove the four screws found on the outside of the screen. You may have to bend back the side panel to see them. There are two on each side. Thats what holding the screen down.

3rd.
    Once the screen is out of the way and you disconnect the cables you'll see your hard drive with a four pin connector along the right side of it.

It may look like you have a ways to go from here but you don't.

Last
    There is a bracket with two screws on the left side of the hard drive. Unscrew them and lift the left side of the hard drive and it will slide right out. Then of course disconnect the the four pin connection.