how can I change the awful rainbow spinning circle?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by NarKEd, Aug 4, 2004.

1. NarKEd macrumors member

Jan 16, 2004
    Ok, I dont know what apple was thinking when they designed that rainbow colored spinning circle that appears when the machine is thinking, how can I change it for a cooler animated icon
  2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    I don't think there's any way to change just that icon, but I suppose you could use a theming program like ShapeShifter to alter the appearance of the entire OS.
    EDIT: Disclaimer: I do not use nor recommend the use of ShapeShifter or other theming programs.
  3. janey macrumors 603

Dec 20, 2002
    sunny los angeles
    mightymouse, or some program like that
    same guys as the shapeshifter theme thing.

i highly recommend that you not use such `haxies`, but if the spinning beachball from hell bothers you that much...
  4. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    how often do you get the beach ball of death? i dont get it enough to bug me
  5. DazedNConfusedX macrumors newbie

Jul 18, 2004
    East/South Bay Area, CA - USA
    What's so bad about Shapeshifter/haxies?

Um... well I installed the trial version of Shapeshifter and installed one of the themes from Then when I installed 10.3.4 yesterday, the installation had to revert the theme back to OS X's default theme (what is it called again? "Glossy", or something?).

I don't know if that might have resulted in some of these other problems I'm running into (can't get Apple's desktop background choices to stretch out to fully fit my 23" cinema display and OS X Help topics not showing up as they should in HelpViewer when I try to view "Mac Help" topics - I made separate posts to request help for these issues).

Why are these "haxies" so bad? Shapeshifter's site makes it look like a pretty legit, harmless app. Should we really steer clear of such things? Are they that bad? (I also dislike the tacky rainbow beach ball! lol It's too inconsistent w/ the otherwise elegant design of the OS X interface and the newer hardware.)
  6. NarKEd thread starter macrumors member

Jan 16, 2004
    I use windowShade haxie and its not so bad (I cant live without it) I got so pissed of when apple removed the feature that when you double clicked the top of the window it 'minimized' in its place leaving the top window bar. well, now with expose the problem is not so bad, but anyways I still like to minimize windows that way.
    nmnm.. I dont like that ball, but Im not willing to pay for a program to remove it. there must be a way to do it. (like change a system file or something) I mean it must be stored in some place. my logic says that if I find it and replace it with other icon in the same format it will work just fine.
    what mighty mouse has, is the ability to change those things without changing or replacing any system file. but in personal I dont care, I could replace the system file and loose that beach ball forever :rolleyes:
  7. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    well, i think the beach ball is a step up from the hour glass or clock.
  8. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

May 31, 2004
    Cape Breton Island
    The spinning beach ball of doom is my nemesis in imovie 3
    that's why i started using final cut! :)
  9. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    How about more RAM? That'll keep the beachball away.

I've never noticed a post on MacRumors get modded like this one. The half dozen or so posts before wrldwzrd89's are gone. Since NarKEd edited his original post they're irrelevant but still... I thought we were headed for the Wasteland but I didn't expect a bunch of posts to go poof.
  10. janey macrumors 603

Dec 20, 2002
    sunny los angeles
    the app itself is legit and harmless. what it does really isnt, because it messes with too many system preferences and files. Now, if it just did a simple replace file x with file y, then its not much of a big deal...but skinning/theming slightly more complex than that.

imho most of the themes available are tacky as hell. You think the beachball is tacky...*sigh* It's not inconsistent in any way. It actually goes well with the rest of the interface.
    Unfortunately most themes just look like 5 second hack jobs and ruin the modern, sleek look of the hardware. Okay, who the hell wants their OS X gui to look like ****ing Windows XP?!

Mind you, if its only one theme or haxie, then it isnt goign to do much. Change themes every day and fiddle with too much and you'll end up with a f***ed OS X install.