How can i connect external display on iMac 333?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by SylverBullet, Feb 27, 2004.

1. SylverBullet macrumors newbie

You all know that, there is no VGA connector like Indigo ones.

BUT, is it possible to connect an external display???

If yes... how?

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Re: How can i connect external display on iMac 333?

realistically and practically, its not really possible.

I believe there was a company that made a card for the mezzanine slot found ont he 233 mhz iMacs that allowed for a second monitor. I could be remembering that wrong though. But your machine doesn't have that slot (though there was a company once that offered to add it back in for you since the connectors are still there, I doubt that still goes on anymore, but it is possible for those handy with a soldering iron)

You could disconnect the internal monitor, jury rig a setup that allows it to connect an external. Wouldn't look good, wouldn't be very practical, and you of course lose the use of the built in screen, but the possibility is there.

But barring that, you can pretty much forget it.

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

Yep, your only option is to crack into the case and get to the internal VGA connector, and use that. It's quite possible--I took a 333 apart yesterday, and there's definitely a connector sitting in there--and I've known people who did that when the internal monitor fried, but it's not pretty.

You could, if you don't care about the apperance or using the internal monitor, probably drill a hole in the case and feed the VGA connector in through that, to keep it a bit cleaner.

4. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

I've done it on my iMac Bondi B, and I believe the 333 iMac is exactly the same. It's very easy to do and it works great.

Turn your iMac upside down.

There is ONE screw you need to remove, thats at the back of the iMac.

You'll have in front of you some cables, your only concern is the biggest one, its the normal Macintosh cable to the monitor. Unscrew the connector (no need for screwdriver) and detach.

You know have the ancient :p Mac video connector in front of you which is NOT VGA so you have to have a convertor. There are always tonnes on ebay for $5 less than that usually.

Attach one of those and your done! Attach any monitor you want. I did it with my 17" LCD and it worked to 1280 x 1024. Amazing :p

Obviously turn your iMac the right way round, put it under your desk (as it has no use now) and have your keyboard and mouse on desk, or if you're lucky enough, use a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse.