How can i convert exe. files into a Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by mayzenb, Aug 11, 2003.

1. macrumors newbie

I never thought that i'd run into trouble with this magnitude. I recently purchased a Mac, i'm a first time. I've been using the windows format for 12 years, and Dos before windows. Now that i have a new system i would like to upload my old exe. files into the Mac. I don't want to waste 2 hundred on the virtual pc 6 software, so how can i get around without purchasing any software.

Thank you

2. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You can't, plain and simple. Windows executables cannot and will not run on a Mac (without VPC), neither can they (to my knowledge) be converted in any way. Sorry.

3. macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

That's a problem. .EXE is an executable application, written for DOS/Windows on x86. Not for any Mac OS. You cannot just "convert" applcations, as you can do with documents.
    If you really MUST run DOS/Windows applications on your Mac, then I am afraid you will be needing VP6 (or Real PC <where are you???>).
    Maybe if those .EXE-files are just self executing compressed archives, then maybe you could borrow someone's PC, to extract the files, then copy the uncompressed files to your Mac.

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

furhter...

how can i then run exe. files, without converting on my MAc with out purchasing virtual pc 6. I know that there are emulators available, i just don't which one i should use and where to locate one.

5. macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Re: furhter...

Steal it :D

Sorry, just kidding.... VPC is at this moment the only PC emulator on OS X which runs reasonable. Other emulators are quite experimental, and generally (even) slower.
    The highly anticipated Real PC for OS X is "around the corner", promising to be faster.... but I wouldn't wait for it.

6. macrumors 603

shadowfax

if the .EXE has the source code available, you could port the source code and recompile it with developer tools, hah. good luck with that.

7. macrumors member

Why don't you give us a bit more info. Which .exe programs do you need to open? Maybe people can suggest alternative mac programs. Why are you so against using VPC? Is it a money issue? I suspect some of the wise-a$$ answers are just because you haven't given enough of a description of the problem.

8. macrumors 6502a

al256

Re: How can i convert exe. files into a Mac

You know you don't have to pay $200 dollars for Virtual PC. You can buy the DOS edition http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...74jmxqb72jPxBiexYBzhBPa/1.5.0.5.14.1.5.5.13.0 and install your own copy of windows. Mind Windows XP licensing issues, though.

9. macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Re: furhter...

Simple answer -- you cannot run .exe files on a Macintosh.

You can open them only on Intel x86 hardware, real (PCs) or simulated (that'd be VPC, the only emulator worth a ****).

You can peruse others here.