how can i convert PDF files to epub format?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by aihna, May 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macrumors newbie

May 9, 2011
    I have a CD of PDF files, is there a way I can convert them to ePub files?
    Is there an online/tool that will allow me to do that?
  2. macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
  3. macrumors G4

Night Spring

Jul 17, 2008
    Yup. PDF is a really awful format. It's main purpose is to replicate the printed page exactly. So among other things, it has page numbers. And fixed line length. So let's say we have a paragraph in PDF like this, with a page break in the middle of the paragraph. So in PDF it looks something like:

There was never a more amazed
    little boy than Cedric during
    the week that followed; there
    was never so strange or so

unreal a week. In the first place,
    the story his mamma told him was
    a very curious one. He was obliged
    to hear it two or three times
    before he could understand it.

Convert this to epub, and you get:

There was never a more amazedlittle boy than Cedric duringthe week that followed; therewas never so strange or so-23-unreal a week. In the first place,the story his mamma told him wasa very curious one. He was obligedto hear it two or three timesbefore he could understand it.

4. macrumors 68020

Mar 11, 2009
    Get "Calibre". Awesome free program for converting.
  5. macrumors 603

Jun 14, 2010
    Let me take a step back and ask: What is it you need to do with the documents that are in PDF format?

My point is to suggest starting from your end goal and determining if conversion is actually required, or if there's a way to satisfy the goal with the PDFs as they stand. Perhaps you've already done that, but if not there are a variety of tools to work with PDF's allowing annotation, bookmarking, and highlighting.

For example, in my grad school program I have to read a lot of documents in PDF format. I use PDF Expert to highlight/annotate these files quite effectively.
  6. macrumors member

Apr 27, 2011
    Western Mass
    I second that! I use Calibre all the time, not just for converting either. I prefer spaces between paragraphs when I'm reading and Calibre will do that with one click of the mouse, can't beat it.
  7. macrumors 68020

Jul 13, 2008
    Los Angeles, Ca
    I've just converted over 300 PDF's to ePub and they're working out great. Not flawless, but enough to prefer it over a PDF on the iPad.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.