How can I copy CDs/DVDs under Mac OS X?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by weg, Jul 6, 2005.

1. weg macrumors 6502a

Mar 29, 2004
    I'm using Mac OS X Tiger and I haven't figured out yet how I can make a 1:1 copy of a CD (data, audio) or a DVD (data, I know that I need additional programs for Videos). Anybody willing to enlighten a newbie? :) Thanks.
  2. yippy macrumors 68020

Mar 14, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    It isn't that hard but it takes a little bit of time because I don't know of a way to go directly from one disk to another (assuming you have two drives).

Start by opening Disk Utility by going Applications ->Utilities->Disk Utility.

Insert the CD to be copied if it isn't already.

Hi-light the disk to want to copy in the left hand bar in Disk Utility. Note: A CD shows up as three progressively indented "levels" (drive, session, partition). You need to choose the session, not the CD type, meaning select the middle level of the CD.

Choose File->New->Disk Image from disk1s1. The last part my have different numbers depending on your drive configurations.

Choose a name and place to copy the CD to.

Once the copy of the CD is complete, eject it and insert your blank media.

The disk image you just made should show up in the left hand field. Hi-light it and click the burn button.

Choose speed and drive to burn to. Sit back and let it finish.

Congratulations, you now have copied a CD.

Note: The word CD can be replaced with DVD in the above instructions to copy a DVD.

You can also burn from the image you made as many times as you want to make multiple copies without having to re-copy the original disk.

Hope this helps.
  3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    ...or just get a 3rd party app.

I recommend Toast, which gives you a Copy Disk option, which makes you copy any CD/DVD with just one or two clicks...