Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Going on holiday but iPhone is already full with photos, apps, messages (which want to keep), and want to use it for holiday photos.

At the moment don't have enough iCloud space so I just use iMac to backup every week.

So basically want the apps on, messages etc, can I just copy manually the photos currently on the iPhone to my iMac (not via backup), then take pics, but then how will "merge" old and new photos to my iPhone?

Thanks

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
If I were you, I would create a separate photo library on Mac.
Then store all photos on that library.
Or I would create a folder specifically for all photos.
To merge, import photos on your iPhone using photos app in El Capitan or iPhoto on Yosemite and prior.
Uh, a bit messed up.
To summarise, here are a few tips:
1. Use folders rather than your iPhoto library to store your photo if you don't mind losing so features like upcoming "faces" and "memories". This could prevent Mac OS X uploading them to iCloud.
2. Don't enable iCloud Photo Library on your iPhone. Like that, all photos will not be uploaded to iCloud and you can save substantial amount of iCloud space.
3. Remember to import photos into photos app and then move them into your dedicated photo folder, each time you take some photos using your iPhone.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I already have my Photos library so don't want to mess with that, should have said the above is daughters iPhone.

I'd rather just have them in a folder and then somehow merge them with the new ones after...?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Maybe I am misunderstanding. If you have no space now how do you plan to merge photos in the future with that same limited amount of space?

Have you also looked into free cloud storage options such as flickr and google?

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Maybe I am misunderstanding. If you have no space now how do you plan to merge photos in the future with that same limited amount of space?

Have you also looked into free cloud storage options such as flickr and google?
I knew that would come! rightly asked, I understand where you're coming from, I aim, just not at this exact time, to go through the pics and delete some, bursts etc, and then put back on...somehow.

Just now need to make sure, the most important actually, to make sure they are safe, so can take some more on a holiday. As also want music etc offline on, as normally streams so thats going to take up space which not normally used to.

thanks

Reactions: lordofthereef

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
What will that do please? This iPhone only has the free iCloud, and on the actual physical iPhone there is more than 5Gb of photos already though?

It will replace all the local full size photos with small low res versions. That should free up a lot of space.
If you open, edit, or share any photo on your phone, it will automatically download the full size version.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
It will replace all the local full size photos with small low res versions. That should free up a lot of space.
If you open, edit, or share any photo on your phone, it will automatically download the full size version.
Where will it save the original ones though if I don't have space in the iCloud for them, which at moment device shows 5.4Gb of photos alone?

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
It's easy, really. First, set up a new folder on your desktop. Maybe call it "Images" or some such. Plug the iPhone into the Mac. Then go into Applications and open up Image Capture.

Transfer photos from iphone or iPad using Image Capture
  1. Connect your iPhone to your OS X computer and open Image Capture.
  2. Select your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from the list of connected devices.
  3. Open the drop down menu next to “Import To” and select the folder you want to transfer pictures to.
Once you've transferred all the images to the folder on the Mac, you can then delete them from your iPhone. Voila -- loads of new free space to use! :)

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
After backing up all the photos from phone to Mac, use Google Photos app to load all your photos there (free unlimited storage). You could then delete them from you phone, knowing that you could always access them over Internet.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Look, either commit to local storage, or commit to cloud storage. But half of each? Total mess.

Adding more storage to iCloud is actually very cheap.
Look, ok, I'll do as you say ;)
It is a mess yes, but it's for a specific reason. But you may have a point with the iCloud upgrade. It's something I didn't want to do as again even more cost for me again...

But it's under a tenner (GBP), for a year, which is 50Gb. So I suppose I could upgrade, then optimise on the iPhone, hopefully free up some space on the iPhone.

Then in future get a bigger Gb iPhone, stop the iCloud plan and backup to iMac again?

Last edited:

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
It is a mess yes, but it's for a specific reason. But you may have a point with the iCloud upgrade. It's something I didn't want to do as again even more cost for me again...

But it's under a tenner (GBP), for a year, which is 50Gb. So I suppose I could upgrade, then optimise on the iPhone, hopefully free up some space on the iPhone.

Then in future get a bigger Gb iPhone, stop the iCloud plan and backup to iMac again?
You've a couple of options.

1, back the photos up to your Mac and then remove them from your phone.

2, purchase a larger iCloud storage plan and set your iPhone to optimise the photos.

3, use a third party backup solution be it Dropbox or google photos.

4, purchase a sandisk iXpand backup drive or the case version

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.