How can I follow WWDC?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Killyp, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Ellooo

I'm really looking forward to monday. I hope Steve brings me some nice birthday presents (about a month from now :) ), but I'd like to know what's happening when it happens....

Obviously, being the UK we are limited to 15 channels (on freeview), so what is the best way of keeping an eye on the Keynote?

2. Objectivist-C macrumors 6502

I think there's this website, MacRumors.com, that might possibly have some coverage.

3. Killyp thread starter macrumors 68040

Killyp

yeh okay shuddup :p

Will it just be text coverage, or will there be pictures/videos, and where will it appear?

4. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

Here. Duh!
    Did you just fall off the turnip truck?

If you want to watch a video version, you can watch a non-live streaming version a few hours after the keynote.

Edit: MR will just have text.

5. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Yes, where and when will we be able to watch the event? I can't wait. :)

6. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

15? I get, urm.. gosh over 35 TV ones (there abouts), not inc. radio ones - and thats upstairs in my room?

How comes you don't get so many?

7. Killyp thread starter macrumors 68040

Killyp

If you include QVC and all that nonsense then I get around 35, same as you.

8. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

QVC broadcasts in the the UK?!? Is it the same crap we (US) get or do you get special UK specific crap? :confused: ;)

9. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

Digital terrestrial (through normal TV ariel)

most of the channels broadcasting in the UK... you'll see a few US ones, but all the channels here have localised content. and yes, QVC is as bad here as it is there.

:rolleyes:

10. projectle macrumors 6502

How it will go down...

Steve: I would like to let you in on a bit of a shock... You know how Microsoft invested all that money in us back in 1997? Well, we have been sitting back doing what we do and have been doing well. However, I would like to let you all in on a real secret. That investment has paid off.

Steve: You know the demo that I will be showing you today? It is the new Apple Operating System developed as a joint effort between us and Microsoft. Here you are, the successor to OS 10.4 - Tiger, OS 11 - Vista.

Steve: All the features that you know and love from Tiger have been seemlessly integrated into our new OS including full compatability to run all existing OS X Applications on both the PowerPC and Intel Architectures.

Steve: Welcome to a new era in computing.

Crowd: Now, STAB HIM! STAB HIM!!! STAB HIM!

11. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

MacRumorsLive.com has always helped me in the past. But as a back up, macteens.com has very nice coverage as well, including videos. Although, the keynote video witll be on Apple.com shortly after the announcements. :)

12. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

Someone hold a cellphone in the air so we can get sound. :p

13. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

If you turn on a typical tv in the US, without cable, you will only get 7 channels with an analog signal. Even in a big city like NY, we only have 7 analog channels.

Technically speaking, the UK offers more 'free' channels; I doubt there is any free digital content being offered through an antenna (arial) in the US. At least not in NY, and I'd imagine if it was available in the US it would certainly be available here.

14. projectle macrumors 6502

Here in Utah, we only have 37 channels on basic cable through Comcast... We don't even get SciFi unless you sign up for the $70 per month plan.

15. p0intblank macrumors 68030

I don't think you can get reception from inside the conference hall, for obvious reasons.

16. projectle macrumors 6502

Well, there would obviously need to be some kind of reception for there to be a live feed discussing what is going on...

My guess is a laptop with an EVDO or other Cellular Broadband connection.

17. p0intblank macrumors 68030

I remember reading that their is no cell phone reception. I can't confirm if this is true or not. Either way, I am curious... how does MacRumors get their updates out so quickly? Is there actually an open Internet connection for attendees to use?

18. projectle macrumors 6502

Several states (Not California, yet as far as I am aware of) have passed laws stating that no public location can intentionally inhibit the operation of cellular equipment due to the security risk that it could pose if there were an emergency.

19. minty-freshness macrumors member

minty-freshness

umm.. quick question. what time does WWDC actually kick off? at 12 AM pacific time?

20. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

21. minty-freshness macrumors member

minty-freshness

but nothing has started to feed!!!
    oops.. sorry. 1 pm EST. :(

22. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Um...yeah. Check back in 12 and a half hours...it's dark here now.