Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zodiac

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2004
Canadia States of America
A really big douchebag of a "friend" deleted everything on my eMac with Mac OS X 10.3.9 and changed the passwords.

She won't tell me the password and I have no idea how to get my mac back.

Is there any way I can get the password? I'm not gonna get it from her.

She also stole my mac os x install cds.:mad:

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
If they deleted everything off your system then you can reinstall everything from scratch without worrying. Since they took the discs you either have to get them back or upgrade to Tiger. You have to have those discs to reset the password too, so you're pretty hosed without them.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
zodiac said:
A really big douchebag of a "friend" deleted everything on my eMac with Mac OS X 10.3.9 and changed the passwords.

Did she move away? You could just make her give the discs back...or the password. I dunno if this is valid or not (hey, what do I know?) but maybe you could report it to somebody or get a friend, sans quotes, to loan you some install discs?

Otherwise, go down to an Apple Store (if there's one nearby) and either buy Tiger or see if they'll let you install Panther with their discs (I'm sure they'd have some lying around).

Good luck!

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
zodiac said:

As mentioned above, you are pretty much stuck without those install disks. I would personally kill a friends in their sleep if they did this to me, literally. If you can't get the discs back, call the police! She stole from you.

barneygumble

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2005
Might i suggest this
jeu%20de%20guillotine.jpg

In all seriousness one phone call from the police is all it will take to get the back, of not press charges, does she want a criminal record. Or perhaps let her know you are prepared to do this, what is worth more to her;)

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
:confused: Did she pass elementary school yet? Cause that's the most immature thing I've ever heard. That sucks man. Threaten her, threats are always a good thing with immature people.

zodiac

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2004
Canadia States of America
I'm not gonna start something and call the cops. I just need a way to get the admin password.

Is there anything I can do in Single User Mode?

anything illegal?

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
What's the deal about calling the cops? You've got a right to your own disks. Just threaten her with the police; hopefully that'll be enough.

Heck, she erased all your personal files. Fresh install or not, you won't be getting those back. So I wouldn't worry about "starting something". Lean on her.

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
You need another FireWire-capable Macintosh but you can boot up in target disk mode and sneak in via a FireWire cable.

I've done this to hack into a Mac for which I didn't have the login p/w.

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
zodiac said:
She won't tell me the password...I'm not gonna get it from her.

Shoot her in the arm and dig your thumb into the wound. Say something hardcore-badass as she cries out in pain.

Jack Bauer knows how to get **** done.

Attachments

• iknowthishurts.jpg
    iknowthishurts.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 127
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.