How can I get files off a broken Mac Mini to an iMac?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by johnbro23, Aug 9, 2005.

1. johnbro23 macrumors 6502a

The Mac Mini fails to start up... it gets to the welcome screen and no further. We have tried booting from the install CD to the Mac Mini and reinstalling, but nothing seems to fix it.

So I have an iMac connected to a Firewire cable connected to the Mac Mini. I restarted the iMac, and held down "t". The iMac booted up with the firewire symbol screen saver thing. But nothing else happened. Do I need to have the Mac Mini connected to a display? What do you think I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for the help :)

2. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

You should be starting the macmini holding "t" then its hard drive should mount on your imac.

3. Ti_Poussin macrumors regular

Ti_Poussin

Like johnbro23 have said you should do the invert try to boot the mac mini from the iMac disk holding the T key on the mac mini, yes a screen would be require. If the iMac can't boot from the target mode there's two possibility, the disk is damage or the motherboard is damage. You can try to find a firewire enclosure and get out the disk from the mac mini and put it in the enclosure. If it doesn't work there you will be damn or bless depending of your priority, not expansive to change but you lose your data. Else the motherboard have problem.

N.B.: The Mac mini is surely under Apple Warranty (less than a 1 years old), before removing the HD or any operation like that, go to your Apple reseller to make it repair for free.

4. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have booted up the Mac Mini holding "t" and got the files transferred. Now I'm erasing and installing Mac OSX... hopefully this works this time. If not, I'll have to try Disk Warrior and see if that works. Anyone have any other suggestions if it still doesn't work?

5. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Since you have the files, why would you not send it/bring it to Apple for warranty repair?

6. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I might take it in to the Apple Store and have a genius look at it.