How can I get my VHS tapes onto my Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by nospleen, May 26, 2003.

1. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

Hello, I want to somehow import my VHS tapes onto my mac and then burn them to DVD's. Is this possible? thanks!

2. meta-ghost macrumors regular

Most recent digital video cameras allow for recording in from things like your VCR. Record into your camera's tape and then download onto your computer.

3. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Yep, you just need to get a Hollywood Bridge that is no more than a translator that translate :D incoming video (rca) to fire wire. It cost about $300.

Now, I just got a Sony DVMC-DA2 box that does the same thing but the quality is long way better (based on the reviews). It cost about $500.

The good news is that you can get it in e-bay for about $100 or $200.

You can get the Sony DVMC-DA1 very cheap too. The only difference between the 1 and 2 is that the 2 has a cable with which you can connect your old Hi-8 sony camera and control tyhe play back from the computer (that it is only if that is important to you).

Those boxes are very good and very practical for what you want to do. I'm just capturing videos using the Sony and iMovie too, I can do it with Studio Pro but iMovie is easy to work with.

There is the Canopus ADVC 100 I think, it is a uglie box that cost about $300 too.

I would go for the Sony in e-bay, I made my home work about those for about a year now.

4. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

My camera is a Canon ZR 20. I see an s-video that says in/out. Do the make cables with the rca (red,white,yellow) on one end and an s video on the other end? If so, I guess I could just click play on the vcr and record on the camera?

5. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

If I cannot do it straight from my camera, then I will definitely go that route. Thanks for the tip!

6. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

You do realise that if you used the search, you would have found a thread on exactly the same topic from just a few days ago.

7. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

Thanks for the tip.

8. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

nospleen,

Just one point that hasn't been mentioned. The Sony bridge has macrovision support. That means that you won't be able to import tapes or DVDs that have Macrovision encoding. The Hollywood, Formac, and the Canopus (I think), don't have Macrovision.

BTW, I'm not implying that you were going to pirate VCR tapes and DVDs. Just bringing up a point that doesn't get too much mention.

9. mangoman macrumors 6502a

mangoman

So there's a couple of Sony units on eBay currently... I'd like to find someone locally who'd just rent the unit for a weekend.

I'll hafta look around town...

10. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Damn, that sucks!:mad:

11. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

Thanks!