How can i get this cool gadgets???

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Joeytpg, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Joeytpg macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

There's a small fee to buy Konfabulator, but it's well worth the price in my opinion

3. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

... or you could wait until Tiger is released next year - it has a rather similar functionality to Konfabulator built in.

4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Konfabulator lets widgets sit on the desktop at all times, which Dashboard does not. It is a functionality which I like.

5. spookykids macrumors member

spookykids

Its a CPU hog for slower computers. Another thing that bugs me is that when using expose, they also move. They dont stay on the desktop.

Fun widgets though. Nifty little app.

6. howard macrumors 68020

howard

i was just searching the forums to see how much cpu konfab hogs... thats whats keeping me skeptical of using it, i only have a 700mhz ibook and do a lot of processor intensive tasks... i would quick konfab when i do those...i'm still deciding if i should use it or not.

7. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

try it out first

There is a trial period before you have to buy the program so you can see if you like it or if it takes up too much CPU power.

8. frozenstar macrumors regular

On my 867MHz PowerBook G4, Konfabulator demands up to 30% of the CPU.

That's 260 precious megahertz that this one app eats up. I could run a full-blown version of some modern linux distribution with same amount of CPU cycles as it takes to display a handful of pretty widgets.

I'm definitely looking forward to the hardware-accelerated widgeting implementation in Tiger.

9. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

As with most things, it comes down to personal tastes. :) The reason I didn't like Konfabulator when I tried it out was this very thing - it puts its widgets on the desktop. Very little of my desktop is visible most of the time; while of course you can use Expose etc. to get at the desktop, it means you're adding steps that seem unnecessary. I found myself preferring alternatives that put the information in my menubar or dock instead.