How can I get Vista to work?!?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by kildraik, May 27, 2006.

1. kildraik macrumors 6502a

kildraik

Today I tried installing Vista on my iMac via bootcamp. Everything was going perfect until the install screen from vista came up. My mouse wouldn't move and i couldn't select anything. Did it freeze, or did Vista not recongize my mouse and keyboard? Does Vista work, and if it does, what are the setbacks? Should i just go with XP Pro SP2?

2. macsrockmysocks macrumors regular

How did you get the Vista Beta? I have been looking for it, and i thought I applied for it. As for the installation, I think you need to install XP Pro then upgrade to Vista.

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Everything I've read thus far indicates that Vista won't install properly under Boot Camp, even if you try to upgrade Windows XP. Something to do with the EFI partition that Boot Camp / OS X use being incompatible with Vista's installer.

If anyone's actually installed Vista under Boot Camp, please let us all know how you did it and what build you used (I have Beta 2 here).

4. macsrockmysocks macrumors regular

hmm, I thought I remember reading something somewhere that you could upgrade it..

Clayj, how did you get the beta?

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I think Clay once mentioned that he has a subscription.

I can get it from work, but it's too much trouble. I'll just wait for the CTP (customer technical preview, or something like that), which is apparently just a few weeks away.

6. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Yeah... since I used to work there, it was pretty easy for me to get someone there to sign me up internally as a Beta customer.

7. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

So have you tried the 5384 WinHEC build?

8. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

On Virtual PC under Windows, yes. It's rather slow there, mostly because it's having to share RAM and CPU cycles with a full installation of Windows XP MCE 2005 and it's using that awful video driver that comes with Virtual PC. That's why I'd like to be able to run it standalone at some point... I don't have a PC that I can spare to do this, but I've got two Intel Macs that could do it IF I can get it to work properly with Boot Camp.

9. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

I have a feeling that works, but it won't let you use Mac OS X.

Regarding the beta of windows vista. Pleanty of people say they are subscribed to the microsoft developer thing, but most of them probably just downloaded it...:eek: Did I just say that? (shoots self before mods do)... :p

10. ManchesterTrix macrumors 6502

If you read further down, they were able to get it installed while still having OS X bootable

11. adam1185 macrumors regular

I posted how I installed beta 2 in this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=203910