How can I hear my voice through the headphones WHILE I'm recording in Garage Band?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by animefx, May 28, 2006.

1. macrumors regular

Hi guys... I usually record with my headphones plugged in, but I need to be able to hear my own voice through the headphones while I'm recording in Garage Band. I have found where to set this though.

Please help! :)

Thanks,
    Bryan

2. thread starter macrumors regular

I found out that I can turn the "monitor" on... but the problem is with Garage Band anyways, is that its delayed by almost half a second, so its confusing when you hear yourself on a delay. Audacity on the other hand has no delay, you just hear yourself. I really don't want to go back to use Audacity... can someone please help?

Thanks,
    Bryan

3. macrumors regular

There is hardly any delay on modern macs unless you have 'enhance tuning' or 'enhance timing' activated on the current track while you are recording. Too many effects can also cause a delay.

4. macrumors 601

zimv20

that delay is latency, and removing plug-ins won't remove all of it. it's also caused by the time it takes to put the signal through a/d conversion and the software routing.

best bet is to tap the signal for monitoring before conversion, which will require some kind of external hardware like a dual-output preamp or a mixer.