How can I hook up these speakers to my iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AlmightyG5, Jul 10, 2006.

1. AlmightyG5 macrumors 6502

Is it possible to take a speaker box that has the terminal type output that connects with bare wires and hook them up to an iMac? The box I have has two L & R outputs so IDK if that will work...I Can't use a reciever or anything but is there a converter box or something that can connect to the iMac with optical maybe?

The plugs look like these:

[​IMG]

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Any receiver with a TOSlink input should work. However, I think these can be expensive.

3. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Why can't you use a receiver? Don't call me stupid - just asking. That's what I use.

4. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

are they powered? if so just get a 3.5mm jack to 4x bare wires and wire it in.

5. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

They're speaker terminals. They require an amplified output. You will need a receiver or an integrated / power amp. No powered speaker has bare-wire terminals these days.

6. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i have a pair of powered speakers with terminals.

7. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

That's rare. Linky?

8. Collin973 macrumors 6502

That's what I would suggest. Shouldn't be too hard and you might be able to find something on the internet about doing it.

9. FullmetalZ26 macrumors regular

Is space an issue with the receiver, or something else? If it's price, you can generally pick up a decent stereo receiver (often with multiple sets of speaker outputs) on craigslist for less than $50. Increases sound quality noticeably, and pumps out a lot more sound even on smaller speakers. I've got a Pioneer digital 5.1 receiver hooked up to my Mini, and using it makes the mini+amplified speakers sound like AM radio by comparison. Granted, the receiver is about 15 times the size of the Mini, but so are most of my other peripherals... :rolleyes: