How can I import the old address book into the new address book?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Quark, Aug 25, 2002.

1. Quark macrumors regular

I spent the last two weeks getting geared up for Jaguar and entered about 200 addresses into my address book.

I assumed that the addresses from my old address book would still be available in the new address book. I was wrong.

I installed Jaguar using the backup and new install of the OS. It backed up all my stuff just fine.

But the new Address Book doesn't have an import feature to bring in the old Address Book.

I tried to launch the old Address Book, but it doesn't launch -- just flashes the screen and goes away. I wanted to export all the addresses to vCards - to late, I suppose.

Anyone know of any Applescripts or other way to get my addresses into the new Address Book?

Thanks,
    Quark

2. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: How can I import the old address book into the new address book?

Address book offers an import option it is under the file menu. Also you can drag and drop all your email addresses from your old address book.

If this isn't what you were looking for please make it known because I found your post a little vague and I'm sure I am not the only one that will find it that way.:)

3. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

YOU CAN, here's how!

The address book does have an import feature, at least in OS X 10.1.5 (should be in Jaguar too), search in the "Help" Applicatioin. To open the Help Appliciation go to the Finder and press "Command(APPLE KEY)-SHIFT-?" The Help Application will load, in the search window type in "address book" and click the search button. Here is a picture: [​IMG]
    Then Click on the one that says "Importing Addresses into Address Book", I had to do this when I reformated my iBook's Hard Drive...
    I hope this helped!

4. Quark thread starter macrumors regular

Re: Re: How can I import the old address book into the new address book?

I can't run the old Address Book. It won't launch.

So therefore, I cannot drag them into the new Address Book.

In reference to the other posting about Import feature and online Help and Apple's Support Pages, there is nothing that will allow you to Import from the Old Address Book into the New Address Book.

I have exhausted all resources, searching for an answer and this is my last hope.

There has to be something basic that is being overlooked... any other thoughts?

Thanks,
    Quark

5. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

select all your addresses in your book, and drag them into a new folder. it will export them as vcards.

Then simply import them into the new address book. I'm afraid this is the only way. Unfortunately, you will lose half the info for each person, but it keeps their email addy and phones.

Uless, of course, you've already upgraded, then me thinks u r not going to get them back. i could be wrong, though.

6. Quark thread starter macrumors regular

I can't run the old Address Book. It won't launch.

So therefore, I cannot drag them into the new Address Book.

I installed Jaguar using the backup and new install of the OS.

7. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I found this at Apple support.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article....Value=100&showSurvey=true&sessionID=anonymous|146553373

I hope this helps.

One more thing....

If you know someone who is not running 10.2 yet you could email them your address book and they could drag and drop all your email addresses to a empty folder which would create a batch of vCards. They could then email that back to you where you could simply drag and drop them into your Address Book.

I will do this for you if you need me to.

8. Quark thread starter macrumors regular

MacBandit,

Thank you for the document post. I saw that article, but it doesn't apply to importing the Old to the New... well, not directly. I don't have any of the applications they listed; but I suppose I could download Outlook Express.

Also, I had the exact same thought about giving someone my old address book file and having them export the vCards. Thank you very much for your kind offer. If nothing else works, then I will probably take you up on it -- nothing in the addresses is really confidential anyway.

You have been most helpful!:)

Thanks again,
    Quark

9. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

!!!!

I deleted my address book and al the addresses by mistake! I am so mad!! AH!!! HELP!!! I have a thread avout it!:rolleyes: 

10. Quark thread starter macrumors regular

Re: !!!!

I'm sorry to hear that.

I'm glad that I didn't have that problem.

I still have mine, just trying to get it into the new address book.

How did you delete your address book by mistake? It would have gone to the Trash can first and you could have restored it from there.

Was it after you updated to Jaguar?

I think there is a restore utility somewhere that can actually rebuild the files, unless you've run some drive optimizing utilities.

Good luck with that one.

By the way, where is the thread? I didn't see it.

Quark

11. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Im not running Jaguar, Im running Mac OS X 10.1.5, I must have hit the delte key or something, but it was gone, now in my "Addresses" folder under User>Library has two files, one Addresses .addressbok and another one with a similar name but it says "unreadable 1" next to it. I backed up my HD before this happened. So when I try to import the backup file to the Address Book app, all it comes up with is "???" where the names should be! Here is the link to the thread: CLICK ME! I have started to recreate my addresses from what I remember... I need help...:(

12. Quark thread starter macrumors regular

Try this:

Delete the old address book file. Then restore the backed-up address file to the same location.

Then you should be able to run Address Book and it will use the restored file.

I assumed you haven't tried this because you said you used the "import" feature to import the data. You don't have to import.

Let me know what happens.

Quark

13. King Cobra macrumors 603

Isn't this interesting? The man with the questions has become the man with the answers. :p :D

Lime, from now on, the iPod is your friend when dealing with vCards. :)

14. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Well...

If I had enough money and didn't need a new HD for my iBook, I'd get an iPod;)

15. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

In reply to Quark's message...

I'll try that, thanks. My iBook is downstairs. I'll check it out later, thanks agian! :D

16. Quark thread starter macrumors regular

Cool!

I think this will help me a little, because I have several of my contacts on the iPod. I didn't even consider this as an option, but clearly it is and it is a good one!!

Thanks KC. :)

Quark