How can I improve my images?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by iBookG4user, Feb 20, 2007.

1. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Sometimes when I'm taking pictures the images come out really bad and blurry, how can I prevent this? I assume this is because the camera is shaking while the picture is being taken? My phototaking abilities are really hit and miss, I can only seem to get 50% of them to come out decent.

Here is an example.

The camera I'm using is an HP Photosmart M415

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

It probably isn't entirely your fault. Each camera has its own strengths and weaknesses, and it's quite common for a camera's weakness to be inside low-light pictures (like your example pic).

There are two things that can cause a blurry picture: shake and focus (both apply especially to low-light conditions) . You can use a tripod to eliminate shake, but unfortunately, there's not much you can do about poor focusing for point-and-shoot cameras (although, sometimes, forcing the camera to focus multiple times can help).

Of course, increasing the light in the area will usually help.

3. iBookG4user thread starter macrumors 604

iBookG4user

The camera seems to be capable of taking good pictures inside because it did fine in the picture here. But maybe I should try setting the camera on a desk and taking a picture to see if shaking is the problem, as I don't have a tripod.

4. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Your examples show a shutter speed of 1/25th of a second. You're not likely to be able to hold still enough for almost half a second every time. I'd suggest either getting better support or using flash.

5. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

Yeah, i thik that you are not holding still enough as the shutterspeed is 1;25th of a second. Using flash, as he mentioned should fix the problem, or using a tripod. Good luck :)

6. iBookG4user thread starter macrumors 604

iBookG4user

If I use flash, then the displays that I take pictures of dims so that you cannot see anything on it, which is why the flash was turned off. What would be a better way to take a picture of a display?

7. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Yup, I *think* the problem is that you have low lighting. In that, for the camera to take a picture, it needs enough light to illuminate the object. Although, to gather that light in low lighting, it takes longer so the shutter needs to stay open longer. When it stays open longer, any shaking or movement will cause the picture to blur. Hence, either

1. Use a tripod so you don't get movement
    or
    2. Use flash in low light

P.S. If your problem is that the display dims when you use flash, use more external lighting besides the monitor (i.e. room lights, spot light, etc.)

8. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Have you tried just turning off the "automatically adjust brightness" in the display preferences just for the picture?

9. b0tt094 macrumors 6502

b0tt094

Try this, since ur not going for less noise tr to find the iso (and turn it up) then turn the shutter speed up a couple of steps. This will brighten up the shot. But with a small sacrifice of image color (depending on the camera)