Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Screamingbeaver

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2001
St. Paul, MN
Okay, hopefully someone can help. We just got a new machine runnin Jag. I setup multiple users, there are six of us. We work in prepress. As admin I wanted to copy preference files from Suitcase, Quark and stuff, and I'm havin' the hardest time.

I'd like to drag the same preference file into other users Library/Preference folder.

Also, when I install Suitcase, it works fine when I'm the user. When someone else logs in, It is treated like it is new. This is why I'd like to copy the preference files.

Does this make sense? I hope someone can help me. I've logged in as root and still can't make these changes.

Thanks again, Beaver

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
This is the blessing and curse of OS X. Totally independent users.

In order to see/edit other users' folders, you need to be a superuser, or root. An Admin account will not do.

This used to work for me:

> Go to system preferences

> click Accounts

> Under Login Options, select "Name and Password"

> log out

You will be presented with a screen where the user and password are blank.

Type in root for user, and the original Admin password. (if there are more than one admins, the first admin password created).

You should be logged in as root. BE VERY VERY CAREFUL. Anything you mess up here is undoable and will corrupt the system (if you muck around with it).

Logout when done, restore your original account settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.