How can I make a zip file?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by joey4127, Jun 13, 2005.

1. joey4127 macrumors 6502

joey4127

I need to send a text and pictures in a seperate zipped up file. How xan I make a zipped up file with the pictures?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Select the files in Finder. Click on the File menu and select the option that begins "Create an archive...." That's it. The archive is a zip file.

3. joey4127 thread starter macrumors 6502

joey4127

thank you

4. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Every Mac also comes with Stuffit. There are three apps. (I forget exactly where...on a PC at the moment.) One of these is called DropZip. Simply what you do is select all the files you wish to zip at once, and drop it on the icon. It does the rest. If you plan on doig alot of zipping perhaps it would be good to add this to your dock or desktop?

5. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Actually Tiger doesn't.. and I'm assuming that new computers with Tiger on them don't either.

6. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Well, now we have both the Tiger and Panther versions of the instrux, since Panther doesn't have the "create an archive" function.

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Not quite. Versions of OS X previous to Tiger came with Stuffit Expander only. In order to get DropZip/DropStuff/DropTar, one had to download Stuffit Standard (and whatever it was called previous to that).

The zip function ("create an archive") was introduced in Panther, so it's definitely there.

8. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

9. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

10.3 - Stuffit Expander Installed
    10.4 - "Create Archive" in finder to zip files (also available via a control-click - see attachment)
    To the OP: If you have tiger you can control-click items and select "Create Archive of..." or select them and click on File>Create Archive of...
    Simple in Tiger!

Attached Files:

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Your post confuses me a little. Are you saying that you cannot create a zip archive in Panther?

11. joey4127 thread starter macrumors 6502

joey4127

Okay i did it, but what i did was pasted them into word and then zipped the word file but that killed the quality, how do i get the pics into some kindo of folder so i could zip them? Its like 7 pics

12. joey4127 thread starter macrumors 6502

joey4127

can i just drag from iphoto to a folder i madE?

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Export them from iPhoto into a folder of your choosing (say, on your Desktop), and then zip that folder.

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, I know this is a tangent, but I am also certain that Panther had the ability to make zip files using something very similar to, if not identical to, the create archive function (and bomarchivehelper in the bg). If anything, the words were very slightly different. But same thing.