how can I make my G4 quicksilver quieter?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by matty108, Jan 28, 2007.

1. matty108 macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a G4 800mhz quicksilver, with 2 hd's and a cd burner drive. I just got the machine and I like it a lot but it is so loud. I don't know why it is so loud but I was wondering what I could upgrade in the machine to make it not so loud. :confused:
    Matt

2. bartelby macrumors Core

They are loud, not as bad as the Mirrordoor ones though.

I've got a 733MHz with 2 drives and a burner so I'll be watching out for good advice...

3. LBmacman macrumors member

you could try a PCI fan to keep the system cooler. they might work
    i dunno about the sound level though...

4. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

I tried EVERYTHING to make mine quieter, but in the end I ended up going this route, made it sooooo quiet.

check it out

but if you arent looking to do something like that, I recommend swapping all of your fans (even the one in the powersupply) with Silenx fans they are by far the quietest fans on the market. Trust me, I put ALL the 'silent' fans in my quicksilver, and none were as silent as Silenx.

5. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

tried it, only made things LOUDER

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I had the 733, there are a lot of loud fans in that thing. Replacing all of them is a job and a half. I would see about perhaps positioning the machine in the next room or closet or something so its not right next to you. Or buy a Mini:)

7. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

if you have ever built or taken apart computers, replacing the fans is not a big deal.

1 behind the CPU, 1 in the side of the case, and one in the power supply. no biggie.