How can I make Non anti-aliased text appear in IE 5.2

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Classic, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Classic macrumors regular

Jul 9, 2001
    So, here's some strangeness....

My fiancé is putting together her online portfolio using Flash 5. She has published all her files with aliased text, as she doesn't want it to be anti-aliased. It's real small and tight, and she is going for that pixel crisp text look.

Everything was going smashingly well, and then IE 5.2 came out...

There are certain parts on her site where she has text as gif images created in photoshop, and others as dynamic text created in Flash. Prior to IE 5.2 being released, this wasn't a big deal, as both the text, and the text-image were crisp, and aliased.

Now, in IE 5.2, her Flash generated text is anti-aliased, and her images remain aliased, even though she specifically made sure that when she published her files from flash, the text was set to be aliased.

Even stranger is that Omniweb 4.1 respects the aliased text in the swf files and doesn't anti-alias them. Chimera also disregards the request for aliased text.

So, is there a solution out there?

Another weird thing that happens is that the leading between her text created in Flash changes because of the text smoothing in IE 5.2

Please help!!

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    Explorer > Preferences > Interface Extras
    Un-tick "Enable Quartz text smoothing"
  3. Classic thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 9, 2001
    Thanks but.....

Thanks but I'm really looking for a global solution, not just a fix for my particular browser.

Any other ideas?
  4. mc68k macrumors 68000

Apr 16, 2002
    Re: Thanks but.....

You can use TinkerTool, which is one of the best freeware resource editing apps.

They have an option under the font smoothing tab where you can disable≤font size or, just disable it altogether. Beware, if you disable it the system doesn't look as pretty (but if your like me you don't care :)).

There is a very noticable difference in window refresh/opening speeds since the CPU doesn't have to work as hard to anti-alias all the text. You can also use shadowkiller to kill the shadow that renders "under" every window. This coupled w/the system-wide non-anti-aliasing will yield great speed (unless you have a QS DP rig, then leave it all on :)).
  5. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2001
    Is she sure that she want's to keep that look? If people have to change settings on different computers just to view her stuff properly, then people probably aren't going to do it. Cater to the masses.

6. Classic thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 9, 2001
    Cater to the masses indeed...

PTrauber, you are quite correct, "Cater to the Masses." However, we shouldn't exclude the few. In fact, the masses have been catered to in this particular case. The only time there is any discrepancy is for those few users who are running OS X, and who are on top of it enough to have an updated their IE to 5.2

Clearly, the masses on this forum are running IE 5.2 on OS X, but not in the public.

So, in order to cater to us few who are running IE 5.2, I was hoping that maybe somebody out there has written a sniffer with some javascript that would automatically disable the quartz smoothing while viewing those particular pages.

If not, it'll most likely get written off as the 5% market, of which only 50% of the users have updated their software, won't see the pages correctly. So, all in all, it's not a big deal. More like a bummer that the best OS gets cut out from optimal viewing...

Maybe future Flash Players will be interpreted correctly by IE.

In the meantime, she is investigating fonts at that are specifically designed without curves and anti-aliasing. Hopefully she will find one that is to her satisfaction.
  7. Choppaface macrumors 65816

Jan 22, 2002
    you might find more/better answers at or

i know theres a way to do it *in flash* b/c i remember reading about it, but i dont remember how
  8. billiam0878 macrumors 6502

Mar 15, 2002
    Winter Park, FL

I appologize for my ignorance, but what exactly is "anti-aliasing?" Thanks

9. madamimadam macrumors 65816

Jan 3, 2002
    Re: Anti-Aliasing

To put it basically, anti-aliasing is what makes the text smooth. If you have 10.1.5 you should have noticed the difference on the text.

To go into more detail, it is not restricted to just text but can be applied to anything that is displayed. It uses a process of removing some pixels and adding others with the new pixels being a lighter shade of the ones next to it. This removes that hard edge you get with items displayed on a computer due to the use of square pixels to show non-horizonal or vertical items.

Original line to be displayed by the computer

How computer displays the line WITHOUT anti-alising

How computer displays the line WITH anti-alising