How can I maximize the window?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by vita_kk, Sep 7, 2004.

1. vita_kk macrumors newbie

Aug 4, 2004
    I recently got a 15" PB and now start learning to use OS X.
    One problem I have is, when I open Safari or IE (or any other window), it's impossible to maximize the window such that it will take up the whole screen.
    Even if I clicked on the 'maximize' button on the window, it is only taking up 2/3 of the screen size. Is there anyway to maximize it to the full screen size?

One more question. I'm those kind of lazy person who LOVE to use hotkeys. What I meant by hotkeys is like in Windows, F1 - Help, F2 - Rename, F3 - Search, ALT + Tab -- switch between open applications, ALT + Enter -- Properties, etc etc. As I'm new is OS X, I don't have any idea what hotkeys are available. Can someone provide me a list of those? I'm especially interest in the hotkey for switching between open applications.

Thanks a bunch.
  2. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    In OS X, it's not really a Maximize button in the Windows sense - it is a Zoom button that attempts to optimize the size of the window based on screen real estate and contents of the window. To get it to be full-size, especially on browsers, just drag the lower right corner to resize.

As for hot keys, go to System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts.

Oh, and to switch between windows, use Command-Tab or Shift-Command-Tab. You can also switch between open windows in an application using Command-~.
  3. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    as emw said, the "maximize" button (the green one) isn't really maximize, it's zoom. i personally find it more useful than filling the entire screen but i can see the adjustment needed coming from windows. give yourself some time to learn and adjust and keep an open mind about things being a bit different - you will see that because os x doesn't have the command menus associated with each window (instead, the menu stays at the top of the screen), it actually doesn't make much sense or isn't that useful to have an app window take up the entire screen.