How can I mount my camera on desktop?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by seriypshick, Nov 23, 2005.

1. seriypshick macrumors member

seriypshick

Is there a way to mount my Cameras Card on desktop. I'm using Canon G5. I want to use the card to transfer files but unforunately in mac it doesn't look like it's possible.

Thanks, Serg

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Have you tried opening up Image Capture or iPhoto and importing it that way?

My camera doesn't mount on the desktop, but it still goes in that way..

3. contoursvt macrumors 6502a

I think if you get a card reader, it will mount. I cant really give you too much helpful advice but here goes:

On my PC, if I connect my Canon A75 via a USB cable, it shows up as a drive so I can drag and drop the pictures directly without any software. If I connect my Canon 20D, it does not mount as a drive. My only option is to use canon's software or the built in Microsoft camera wizard thing to pull them off.

If your G5 canon has more in common with the smaller canon cameras, then it should be able to mount, if its more similar in design to the larger canon cameras like the rebel and 20D, then I suspect it will not :(

4. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

assuming your desktop is parallel to the ground and facing away from the ground you should just be able to gently set it down. if your desktop is on a weird angle or upside down, perhaps you could superglue or otherwise bond a tripod head to the desk then mount the camera on the tripod head.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Nice. :p

Seriously, there are known issues with Canon cameras not mounting on the desktop. I'm not sure there's any way to get it to mount. :(

6. Will Cheyney macrumors 6502a

Will Cheyney

Is the camera can be read by Image Capture (and therefore, iPhoto), it wont be mounted on the desktop.

If no drivers are found, it will treat the camera like a USB drive and mount it. As far as I know, there is no way of altering this.
    Just set Image Capture to launch when you plug your camera in - it's quick and gives you a 'contact sheet' index of all your photos.

Alternatively, you can take the memory card out of the camera, put it in a USB reader and it will appear on the desktop as a browsable device.

7. Will Cheyney macrumors 6502a

Will Cheyney

It's not an 'issue', it's the way it's been designed - on purpose.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Can you link me, please?

9. Will Cheyney macrumors 6502a

Will Cheyney

A link proving my statement? I don't have one, but I have never had a digital camera that has mounted on the desktop. That includes cameras by Canon, Pentax and Sony.

10. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

iirc a camera has to have a usb mass storage driver in order to mount as a drive. my hp does, i think nikons do, etc. you can always buy a cheapo card reader if you want it to mount as a drive.

11. cgratti macrumors 6502a

cgratti

I have the Digital Rebel, and just bought a $10 (7 in 1 Card Reader), once I stick in my CF card it will mount automatically.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I have also seen (non-Canon) cameras that mount to the desktop on my iBook, although neither of my Canons do. I was under the impression that at least some Nikons do, when they comply with USB Mass Storage, as Homer said. That's why I was asking for a link, if I was wrong about this, and there was a statement from Apple about not mounting cameras to the desktop.

13. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I don't understand the point of your statement. Every name brand digital camera that I have tried mounts on my desktop. There are some notable exceptions such as Canon, but I have never tried a Canon. Cheap Wal-Mart specials also may not mount. The camera can mount if it supports the automount feature of the USB standard. One of the cool features that automount creates is the ability to store any file on your digicam. It also allows you to share photos with others at get-togethers.