How can I move emails around in Entourage from Hotmail to POP folders?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by anthonymoody, Jan 23, 2005.

1. anthonymoody macrumors 68010

Aug 8, 2002
    I'm a recent switcher. On my pc, I used Outlook to get both my pop emails as well as my hotmail. One nice feature was that I could drag hotmail emails from the hotmail inbox into my pop email folders (where I prefer to archive everything).

I was able to port over just about everything from Outlook on my pc to Entourage on my Mac (my new mini!). I was also really psyched to see that Entourage could be set up to retrieve my hotmail. However, it doesn't let me drag hotmail emails into the pop email folders.

Is there a way to do this or am I out of luck?

2. anthonymoody thread starter macrumors 68010

Aug 8, 2002
    Well no one responded but in the meantime (in case anyone is interested) I discovered something: when you drag a message from your Hotmail inbox (or folders) into your POP folders, it actually copies the message into the POP folder. You can then simply delete the message in Hotmail and the copy is saved in your POP folder.

First time I tried to move the message I didn't realize this was happening b/c Entourage leaves the message in the hotmail folder even after you 'move' it.

3. live4ever macrumors 6502a

Aug 13, 2003
    Thunder Bay, ON
    Also, to backup a mailbox/folder (the kind stored on the hard drive) just drag the folder out of Entourage to the Desktop (this creates an .mbox file).